Golden Ears


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Maple Ridge
August 27th 2009
Published: August 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The unseasonably warm tempuratures in BC this summer have brought unbearable heat, since nobody here owns an air condtioner, but it also brought something else....BLueberries! and lots of them. I have never eaten so many in my life as I have here, I mean buckets of them.

Today to cool off we went to Golden Ears Provincial Park to swim at Lake Alouette and the river flowing out of it. The water is literally a blue-green colour and to swim with mountains on all sides around you is spectacular. The water is usually very cold, but thanks to the warm weather it was just perfect. "It's usually like a slurpie", my cousin likes to say. Down the river some people were jumping off the 10 metre high escarpments, other were tubing and others were just relaxing on the rocks.

Golden Ears Park, named after the prominent twin peaks (or Mount Blanshard) is one of the must sees if in the area of Vancouver. And if you're a Twilight fan some of the scenes for New Moon were filmed in the area. But really any type of hiking around this area is a must wether its near Maple Ridge or near Port Coquitlam or Port Moody its relatively close to Vancouer and promises views that are rare to find in other places. Towering Douglas Firs dominate the forest and the fear of knowing that your uncle (or others) have spotted bears, baby bear cubs and cougars in these areas constantly keeps your adrenaline pumping and excitment up. More on hiking in later entries.

Looks like I've lost some of the photos...will post soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb