Myra Canyon Trail riding in the rain


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna
June 11th 2010
Published: June 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Trans Canada Trail (TCT)- Myra Canyon hiking and cycling trail
“Just south of Kelowna is Myra Canyon, a lovingly restored section of the Kettle Valley Railway Trail. It weighs in at 12 miles (24 km) round trip, but there are no steep climbs or hairball singletracks - just some fun, casual riding. What makes the Myra Canyon section special are the 18 trestles and two tunnels you'll pass over and through.” -
In 2003, a month long fire destroyed part of this trail, the Kettle Valley Rail trail. 12 of 18 Railroad trestles were destroyed. By 2008, they had restored the trestles and reopened this section of trail.

On the 29th of May 2010, 4 friends and I took our bikes to Myra Canyon in the Okanagan Valley of BC. The trail we rode is situated up in the mountains surrounding the City of Kelowna. The day was wet and cool but that made it all the more fun I think. With mud spraying off our tires, we rode the trail quite casually just enjoying ourselves and the view. The weather wasn’t the best for photography but still good enough to capture some memories.

This section of trail is only just a little bit of the Trans Canada Trail that covers around 17000 kilometres from the West Coast of Canada to the East. This trail is also part of the Kettle Valley Railway which was abandoned which is from the towns of Midway and Hope. This Trail is an easy grade and perfect for the casual rider as it was the old railway line, there are no major hills. If you are into cycling or hiking and are ever in the area, I suggest taking this Myra Canyon trail for the lovely views and also just to support the people who put so much effort into restoring this section after the 2003 fires.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

View of KelownaView of Kelowna
View of Kelowna

Kelowna are 3000 ft below this point


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb