Day 8: The Ascention


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna
August 23rd 2019
Published: August 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Chute Lake LodgeChute Lake LodgeChute Lake Lodge

We were certainly up Chute Creek.
In Dante's Inferno there are seven levels that you descend through on your way to hell. As far as the Kettle Valley Rail Trail is concerned, I think we started at Level 8! But today we ascended through all levels and saw the Rail Trail in all it's grandeur. In a 15km section there are 18 trestle bridges, 2 tunnels and numerous cuttings. On display was the undeniable determination of the Canadian government back in the day to build a railway where one should not have been. The trail hugged the sides of the Myra Canyon on it's way north to transport goods to wherever they needed to go. The railway is long gone, proving to costly to maintain and keep open, especially during the winter.
What's left, in this well maintained mecca for day trippers on fat wheeled mountain bikes, is a glorious reminder of the past, of man's determination to build, and a perfectly groomed trail - FINALLY !
We were so glad that we turned back yesterday to Chute Lake Lodge. The 7kms we agonisingly back tracked yesterday seemed so easy this morning. Seeing the canyon during full daylight and with plenty of time was very much the right option. As well as that, the first 10kms of descent from the canyon back to town was on a treacherous downhill dirt road with lots of 10% to 15% grades, not something I would have wanted to do in the dark.
The last 14km was another relaxing descent on bitumen to our hotel.
We went to a local bike shop for some general repairs to the bikes, and on the way back I shot to lead in the puncture count getting a 1.5 inch nail in my rear tyre.
We've had a reasonably early finish today so we should be fresh in the morning for a big days ride, 128kms to Sicamous.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



24th August 2019

What an adventure!
Hi Mark, Im glad there was some rewards after the more challenging bits The country looks stunning! Safe riding! Cheers
25th August 2019

Thanks Yama. The trail is behind us now, and in front is the Rocky Mountains, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb