Rocky Mountains Day 1 & 2


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna » Big White
August 14th 2011
Published: August 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The great explorersThe great explorersThe great explorers

Taken in Hope where Rambo First Blood was filmed
Today we started our trip towards and through the Rockies. We set off with Shaun ( Dave's nephew) and Carol his wife in a beautiful Chrysler "people mover". It was like driving in a jumbo jet. Switches open doors automatically, reading lights for all passanges, and TV screens for back passangers, very comfortable. We spent most of the day driving from Vancouver to Kelowna with stops along the way. We visited the site of a moutain side collapse in 1965, but could not see the mountain as it was our first overcast day since arrival. We drove through beautiful scenery of green forests and green and blue water lakes. We then experienced a huge thunder and lightning storm, the likes of which we had not seen since we left SA. We have discovered Tim Hortens, which we hoped might give us a decent cup of coffee, but alas no, we are still looking. Every drink you ask for is laced with syrup, so I am still drinking my trusty Nescafe cappuccino sachets and iced tea. We also got to look at the start of the Rocky mountains, still from a distance.

Day 2 took us to Revelstoke. A small town
Lakes GaloreLakes GaloreLakes Galore

Beatutiful Blue and green lakes abound throughout the Rocky Mountains
mostly used in snow season for all the ski-bunnies! Shaun is an engineer so we did indulge him and went to the Revelstoke Dam. It was fascinating and an enjoyable visit and we were lucky enough to see a small brown bear cross the road.
We were amazed at the quality of the roads and the size of them as opposed to roads in NZ. We are used to single lanes when travelling, however these roads are 3 and 4 lanes and make long distance travel easy. However the speed limit varies quite considerably, often below 100km/hour! Now we were into the real Rocky mountains and what a grand sight they were. They are awe-inspiring in terms of size and beauty and still covered in snow in the higher areas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Real RockiesThe Real Rockies
The Real Rockies

High mountains and very deep valleys
Great RoadsGreat Roads
Great Roads

Driving on the right hand side???


15th August 2011
The great explorers

Think I'll use that for the Petrus!
16th August 2011

Dave you should wear pink more often. Its quite becoming!
22nd August 2011

Coffee and roads
You should be able to get a decent cup of coffee in the Netherlands! But you'll see some tiny roads

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb