Kelowna and Big White


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna » Big White
February 3rd 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Vancouver on our 6 hour bus ride which turned into a 7 and a half hour bus ride due to the weather and poor visibility from the snow. We stayed in Kelowna, the town closest to Big White resort (about 1 hour's dive away) for 2 nights where we bought all our ski gear.

We went out for pizza but missed the end of the Superbowl (Indianapolis Colts beat Chicago Bears) but it isn't anywhere near as big here in Canada as it is in USA.

Then the next day we moved up to Big White. We stayed with Waz, his sister Heidi and their 3 other housemates in a 2 bedroom condo for about 1 week. It was a little difficult to find long term accommodation here. The reservation centre only does short term, or you can pay short term rates (around $200/night) for 7 weeks if you want!!

You have to rely on word of mouth up here on the mountain to find accommodation for long term. We eventually found somewhere which is pretty good - ski in and ski out - only 1/2 minutes to the closest chair lift, and a 5 minute shuttle bus ride to the village centre where you can buy food supplies from the only grocery shop. Ice cream is $10 plus tax for a tub (EVERYTHING is plus tax here, which makes it really hard to work out what you can buy, and also you can never have correct change for anyone because you dont know what the final price will be).

But now we are finally settled in. Jordan and I ski almost everyday, except for when the snow is coming down too hard or my muscles hurt from too much skiing! Two days ago I feel half way down the steepest part of a run called "the Cliff" (double black diamond) and as a result for some reason my nose, neck and arm all hurt! (See funny video attached). You dont realise what hurts until about 20 minutes later! Its good not working because we can choose which days to ski and rest on the others. When you work 5 days a week and only have 2 off you have to go out no matter what the weather or you dont get another chance.

Waz's parents also spent the last two weeks here at a hotel in the Village. While they were here we spent some time skiing and going out to dinner and having dinner at their place.

The skiing is pretty good here. We have lots of fun finding tracks in the powder through the trees and heading straight down the fastest groomed runs. Apart from a dry spell when we first arrived, it has since snowed every couple of days or so. I will add lots more videos and photos of our skiing expeditions as I take them.








Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb