Day 115 Quadra Island


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today we visited Quadra Island in the Discovery Island group of about a dozen between Campbell River on Vancouver Island and mainland BC. If the line-up of vehicles on both sides of the ferry route were any indication, then life on Quadra seems to be quite vibrant. After speaking with a few locals at the Heriot Bay Inn Pub we found that the locals are involved in fishing, shellfish aquaculture, forestry, art, writing, building and a wide range of professional services. A large number of active, community minded retirees live on the island too. We landed at Quathiaski Cove by ferry and made our way to Heriot Bay. Returning along West Road we called in to visit Richard Christie who had been my exchange teaching partner in ’86. He lives in a sensational home overlooking magnificent views.

Back in Campbell River we visited the Campbell River Highland Gathering and watched the Sheaf Challenge. Technique, more-so than strength, was what needed to hoist the sheaf high and over a bar set more than 36 feet in the air. This was followed by an enjoyable and excellent meal at a pub on the marina.

We returned to Merville late, tired and
fulfilled.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement







Tot: 0.347s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb