Please start Stanny..On the road - finally


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bon VoyageBon VoyageBon Voyage

About to leave
Happy birthday..to me!

So the departure of stan the van was off to a slight delay. The boys (zach and ben) did a bit of home mechanics and decided they would replace the rotors themselves. All seemed ready to go when we deccided we should test it out and make sure it had been done right, low and behold the brakes now did not seem to really stop the car, merely slow it down..problem. we then took it to good ole canadian tyre to get hte problem figured out and $567 later, we now have a new brake system - kinda important but still a blow to the budget. We also discovered the wicked 5 CD stacker stereo doesnt work along with ole Stan being able to start about 50% of the time..

We finally ended up leaving on thursday after Stanny being quite temperamental and having to pray that hell start every time we wish to go somewhere. So we left Calgary at about 2pm and headed to Fernie, we stopped to have our lovely lunch packed by Pam (super mum) Powell by a lake where we devoured our ham and salad sandwiches along with a yoghurt, brownies,
LunchLunchLunch

First pit stop at a lovely lake
cookies and some fruit..delish. We then stopped by the worlds largest truck - and it was massive, I was as tall as half a tyre. We drove into Fernie..and then out the otherside wanting to find a nice place for yours truly to wake up on her birthday.

We ended up arrive at Moyie Lake provincial park at about 9.30 and set up the awning and camper chairs to finish the rest of the packed lunch for dinner. Then finally sleep arrived.

To say Stan is a comfortable, relaxing van to sleep in is a bit of a stretch...a long stretch. The bed folds down to be slightly wider than a single and slightly shorter than i am tall. issues. it also got ridiculously freezing in the middle of the night, but a spare blanket seemed to solve the problem. We woke to the sunlight peeping into the stainglass windows and awoke for breakfast in bed and opening of presents. We then packed up (and by that i mean threw everything in the back..it already looks like weve hit the brakes to hard and everything has flown out of its place). We then drove round to the beach (and i use this term loosely, it was actually a lake but Canadians just call everything a beach) where we proceeded to read, play ball and get horribly burnt (only on the legs though - they needed a bit of colour anyways)..After jumping into the lake (ice cold btw) we decided to head into ole cranbrook for a bite of lunch (delish burgers) followed by a touch of bday shopping - zach kindly bought me a nice pair of shorts (considering i only have 2 pairs, quite useful)..We asked our helpful waitress of any fun bday activities and settled out putt putt, quite a fun course, made even funner by me beating mr kilner by 3 strokes..

the weather atm is ridiculously hot and i htink we may be suffering from going from 0 degrees and snow to high 20s and sun in less than a week. but we are surviving, tonights plans include going to a nice dinner (thanks mum and dad) where zach will wear his newly purchased button up shirt (gasp shock horror..nice shirt?!?!) haha i joke. overall it has been a good few days and a lovely birthday. We have taken a whole bunch of photos but the camera has died so they will be uploaded at the next available starbucks (not joking thats where we are right now poaching the internet)

Love KJ, Zach and Stan the Van

P.s. i thank everyone for there birthday wishes




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Zach and Ben hard at workZach and Ben hard at work
Zach and Ben hard at work

Boys replacing the rotors
Raised rightRaised right
Raised right

Yes we were! On the Alberta 22 South
Lake Moyie Lake Moyie
Lake Moyie

Birthday Morning


30th May 2009

sounds like the adventure is nonstop! or maybe its just your witty writing hehe. i especially like that you "got a bit of colour" maybe youll end up more tanned then me considering its winter here!yay for being 20 kj glad zach spoiled you on your bday xox
30th May 2009

Happy Birthday KJ
Happy Birthday KJ. Great to hear that you are having a great day. Stan sounds a bit temperamental but I am sure the two of you will get used to him. Lots of love for the big 20th. Lots of reflection happening over here on the last 20 years. I love you. dad
30th May 2009

Great Reading!
Hi Zach and KJ. We are loving your blog and it sounds like you had a pretty good birthday, KJ. Nice to see Zach on the guitar and very impressed that you beat him at putt putt! sorry Zach. Stay safe! Love the pics too.
30th May 2009

Great Pictures!
Hey guys... love the pictures!! Zach you look like you're wearing a white t-shirt when really you're not!! Your chest definitely needs some colour! Glad to hear Zach made your birthday special for you KJ..... nice pictures of the two of you.
4th June 2009

sorry I missed your birthday
Hi my 20yr old Grandaughter..Good to see you had a great day.If you knew how long it takes me to do this ;you would feel privelaged.hahaha.Stay safe darlin and I am glad you are not travelling on your own.love Nan xxxxx

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb