Crossing into British Columbia


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.6475, -121.29

Another gorgeous morning greeted us! After having our coffee on a deck with great views of the town and surrounding mountains, we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at the motel. We left Leavenworth about 7:30 under clear skies, heading west on a virtually deserted Hwy 2, over Stevens Pass. (Recommend you do this wonderful motorcycle road during the week as the weekend traffic is bumper to bumper.)
At Everett, we picked up I-5 north for the one hour run up to Bellingham in light traffic, then onto Hwy 542, the Mt. Baker Scenic Hwy. We traveled on this great country road, passing lots of bikes heading south from Canada, and from Nuggents Corner on Hwy 9, north to the border at Sumas, with Mt. Baker sitting in its hazy slendor to the east.
After a quick snack at a rest stop along the TransCanadian Hwy 1, we shed some layers to deal with the heat in the 90's. We headed east along the Fraser River to the town of Hope, where the road turned north, and the temps hit 95 with a nice breeze to keep us comfortable. We had anticipated this weather all the way to 100 Mile House, our stop for the night, 240 miles away. We didn't check the forecast for the route in between (ignorance is bliss, as they say).
As we headed north along the "Gold Rush Trail", the temperture continued to climb. By the time we reached Lytton the temps along the Thompson River canyon stretch of TC 1 hit 105. Janet start having problems with her ankles swelling (due to a lower leg injury earlier this spring), so we stopped for cold drinks and some pie in Spences Bridge (a depressing place baking in the heat along the river), where it was 110.
After doing the serious re-hydrating we continued north for the hundred mile run to our motel, picking up the Cariboo Hwy 97 at Cache Creek. By the time we arrived at our motel it was 6:30 and the temperature was still 95.
After Janet soaked in the tub to reduce the swelling, we walked to a nice little restaurant nearby for a light dinner and a much needed glass of wine. Too tired to do any computer work, we pretty much passed out. It was a long and exhausting day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Stevens Pass SummitStevens Pass Summit
Stevens Pass Summit

Stevens Pass Ski Area
A hazy Mt. BakerA hazy Mt. Baker
A hazy Mt. Baker

Along the Fraser River outside of Hope


3rd July 2013

108 in Sac but I have spent the week in Pacific Grove. The high here has been 71. Tomorrow's high 68. Beautiful here in paradise.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb