Day 107 - Mountains and Lakes


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Lake Louise
August 15th 2013
Published: August 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We felt adventurous today so we all headed up to Lake Louise Mountain. It is the second largest ski resort in Canada with Whistler being number one. In the summer they have chairlifts and gondolas that take you to almost the top of the mountain. From there you can see all of the Lake Louise area below. Unfortunately it was very cloudy this morning so the pictures I took were OK, but could have been better had the sun cooperated. We were just glad it did not rain on us. We ate lunch at the mountain since they had a great deal on chairlift & lunch combo tickets. We are always looking for the good deals. After lunch Ron and Carolyn went to search out for free Wi-Fi while Joe, Jon, Joyce and I headed to Lake Louise to do some canoeing. On the road up to the lake our bear from yesterday was standing along side the road. Of course we stopped to say hi to him and take a few more pictures. Since we have seen him two days in a row I thought it was only right to give him a name. Carolyn loves bears so I thought it only fitting for her to name him. Our bear's name is Beorn, from the character in Lord of the Rings. Once we made it up to the lake, Joe, Jon and I rented a canoe and headed out on the lake. The views from the lake were stunning. I was so proud of Jon and Joe for not tipping us over, especially since it was Jon's first time in a canoe... While we were on the lake a huge rumbling sound happened. Come to find out Victoria's glacier (at the end of the lake) had been having large avalanches the last two days. It almost sounded like an earthquake. Once back in camp Joe and I decided to get the bikes out and go for a ride. We were going to go over a bridge down by the stream next to us, but the bridge was closed with a sign that said "bear has been sighted in this area, bridge closed." Needless-to-say we stayed on the roadways. Tonight we went to a park presentation on bears. It was very informative and interactive. In fact Joe got to play the part of a grizzly bear and I play the part of a bear's chef. As you can see, Joe makes an interesting bear.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb