Walking in the Rockies - Marushka Lake


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Kananaskis Country
August 18th 2017
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Towering mountain scenery surrounded the trailhead, encouraging us up the initial incline. Our way began through sun-dappled woods sprinkled with our wild friends - Fireweed, Paintbrush , and a new friend for me, Grass of Parnassus . The view widened as we entered an avalanche area now dominated not by the grey fallen trees but by the vibrant regrowth of pines. The green undergrowth was aggressive enough to narrow the path to footstep width, making me wonder if the path will exist by next year. Short of our destination, the persistence of plants had completely obscured the path to the tarn. We capitulated and ate lunch on deadfall overlooking Marushka Lake.

Our shortened walk and quick return was unsatisfying. Some of us ventured up the forestry road and path towards Tent Ridge, the destination of the sportive hikers in the Skrastin's group. Our very slow ascent part way up the path was a delight as we examined details of flowers and trees, blessed by warm sun and cool shade in a pleasing balance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Marushka LakeMarushka Lake
Marushka Lake

There used to be a path around the lake.
Marushka LakeMarushka Lake
Marushka Lake

Marshy edges discouraged exploration.
Tent RidgeTent Ridge
Tent Ridge

The challenge I didn't want to meet!
Grass of ParnassusGrass of Parnassus
Grass of Parnassus

Stars by the path
FireweedFireweed
Fireweed

Ubiquitous, cheerful filler of disturbed ground
Black CurrantsBlack Currants
Black Currants

Bear food!


3rd September 2017

Marushka Lake
Lovely photos, so relaxing to look at.
3rd September 2017

Great shots again
I particularly like Natural Sculpture and Mountain Vista. I had to look up Marushka Lake. Is one of these photos already in Google images? Neat! Anyway, maybe it's better suited now to snowshoeing, marsh being easier to traverse when it's frozen!
3rd September 2017

Marushka Lake photos
Glad you like these. Don't think my photo is in Google images. Probably lots are similar because there are not too many angles from which to photograph the lake.
3rd September 2017
Marushka Lake

Oh Canada
Stunning beauty
5th September 2017

Thanks for this entry, Judith. I can relate more to this trip than to your more exotic tris to the Far East. Thanks.
8th September 2017

Thanks
Glad to hear from you and to know you like "visiting" the mountains.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb