Stunning


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
May 4th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.8736, -118.083

If 'scenic' makes you weak in the knees, than the roadtrip from Jasper to Banff (in Alberta) particularly through the Columbia Icefields is going to be your number one worldwide choice with all other options vying for a distant honourable mention. Unfortunately it's not quite the undiscovered secret that it was many years ago, so both Jasper and Banff can be both crowded and expensive in the summer and winter seasons. We were trying to sneak through just after the ski bums had gone home and just before the Campervan Armada started their invasion.

Jasper was a little busier than normal at this time of year but that was largely due to a number Fort McMurray fire refugees hiding out here until things are safe enough for them to return. It's further north than Banff and further removed from any major population centres so it has a smaller town feel to it despite the disproportionate number of souvenir stores waiting to trap unsuspecting bus tourists.

Our extended streak of freaky good weather ran out here- specifically it ran out at the top of Whistler's Mountain which is accessed via the gondola and a short hike (an elevation of 2,277 metres/7,472 feet, with, in clear weather, stunning vistas over neighbouring mountain ranges stretching up to 80 kilometres away). By the time we did the climb to the top, it started to rain and our vista quickly shrank to about a 10' visibility.

We debated trying to wait out the bad weather but DH had spent most of our money on her Kelowna souvenir so we (and by 'we', I of course mean ‘she'😉 had depleted our rainy day fund. On the drive to Banff we did get periodic sun bursts but at the Columbia Icefields we were smothered in a heavy fog so we did kinda miss one of the area highlights. The Columbia Icefields are one of the largest accumulations of ice and snow south of the Arctic Circle (the average snowfall is 7m/23 ft every year and can reach depths of 2,000 feet). The Columbia Icefields are incredibly important for the northern hemisphere's water supply as it feeds three oceans – Arctic, Pacific and Atlantic. They are also incredibly beautiful… on a clear day… which we didn't have. Apparently we'll have to come back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



4th June 2016

Stunning scenery. Photos are great!
4th June 2016

great pictures.slight correction though, (This is a rainbow trout) also known as a square tail
4th June 2016

This is the 'one' Vic and Deb for the new condo wall...just gorgeous!
4th June 2016

Fantastic Photos especially across the lakes to the mountains. Really looking forward to seeing this area for real later this month.
4th June 2016

Your title says it all...just beautiful scenery and we (all of us Canucks) are so lucky to have this in our back yard.
5th June 2016

Looks a lot like the Banff critter!
5th June 2016

"Beautiful capture!" said the photo fan club member.
5th June 2016

This could/should be framed and on the wall - wow. (see I comment!)
5th June 2016

Beautiful shot!
5th June 2016

picture perfect
5th June 2016

How did you convince them to pose like that? Perfect.
5th June 2016

Cuties!
5th June 2016

That's OK! It took me a whole day to climb that thing...I'm just happy I did it.
5th June 2016

beautiful - a perfectly place ribbon of cloud. And you managed to stay in your own lane too!
6th June 2016

lovely lovely.. :)
6th June 2016

Looks like a face is staring at you from the rocks! Freaky!!!
6th June 2016

Good thing you bought Billy Thunder, he will come in handy when you are living there in the winter!
6th June 2016

Didn't you post a picture saying travel dangerous! Trying to kill DH off early?

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb