B.C. Sneak Peak


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Valemount Black BearValemount Black BearValemount Black Bear

Black bears are only found in North America. The species ranges from Canada in the north to Mexico in the south, and lives predominantly in forests, feeding on fruit, nuts, shoots, vegetation, and selfie-taking tourists.
Geo: 52.83, -119.277

We're just about to leave B.C. and DH has given me my camera back (the only reason I got it back before Alberta had to do with a close encounter with a black bear- even DH knew that this bear was demanding to be photographed). It's really too bad I couldn't get a few more shots because this westernmost province is one of the most spectacular photo op areas on the planet. DH doesn't want to spoil the surprise for the airlift of visitors that she is expecting once we do settle into our new Kelowna condo later this year. I used to live in B.C. some years ago and my job required extensive travel throughout the province. Either they added a few more lakes, grew some mountains, and added vast tracks of forest complete with critters, or I just didn't appreciate the true beauty of what the locals call "Gods Country". DH has been wide-eyed and constantly looking around (not always great since she's doing the driving), and I'm trying to act nonchalant like it's old news, but the whole time I'm thinking that, WOW, why didn't I notice this the last time I was here??

Anyway, that's all
Valemount Black BearValemount Black BearValemount Black Bear

Unbelievable!! According to Born Free USA, black bears can be legally hunted in 27 states in America, and between 40,000 to 50,000 bears are legally hunted there each year. More are illegally poached.
I'm allowed to say. Our non-B.C. friends are well-advised to book into the Hotel DH early before all of the primo spots disappear.

With respect to Valemount, an Aussie must have been involved in the naming of the town because the original name was effectively "valley between mountains" and as any self-respecting Australian native will tell you, that is far too much wasted time. Valemount, B.C. was going to be our exit point for the province, and I tried to manage DH's expectations because the last time I was here, Valemount was largely a blue collar forest products town. Now, of course, it's a bit of a scenic year round wilderness playground and DH is convinced that I was never actually here but I'm pretty sure I was... maybe... or maybe not.



Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Valemount Black BearValemount Black Bear
Valemount Black Bear

Black bears tend to shuffle along slowly when walking, but are able to run at speeds of around 40-50kph. However, they cannot maintain this pace for long. Plump bears in heavy winter coats tire out particularly quickly.
Valemount Black BearValemount Black Bear
Valemount Black Bear

If you come across a bear at close range, the usual advice is to retreat slowly, still facing the bear. Do not run. Bears are known to make mock-charges to within a few metres – if they do this, stand your ground and shout.
Valemount Black BearValemount Black Bear
Valemount Black Bear

A subspecies of black bear with white fur, known as the Kermode or spirit bear, also lives in British Columbia.
Valemount AreaValemount Area
Valemount Area

Outdoor recreation is popular in summer and winter—hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, and horseback riding are common activities.
Canada GooseCanada Goose
Canada Goose

This goose was endangered in the 1900s. Programs were set up to save these geese, and it has been considered too successful. Now they live in residential areas and are considered annoying neighbors to many humans.


31st May 2016

I love the Stories... : )
31st May 2016

Wow! That's a beauty!
31st May 2016

At peace with nature....
31st May 2016

We are going here at the end of June 2016
31st May 2016

I'll take it! It's absolutely gorgeous there :)
1st June 2016

We think you and DH are going to have a blast checking out the WOW's of this beautiful area that you will soon be calling home. Just awesome images Vic and we too enjoy the stories and blog.
1st June 2016

I so enjoy all the postings - riveting and laugh-out-loud funny postings and great photography (always). I'm attending a conference in Penticton in September - are you actually going to be staying in one place for a while in beautiful Kelow
na?
1st June 2016

They are all over England and are disliked as much as in Canada!
6th June 2016

Wow what a stunning area!
6th June 2016

Yes I think it was definitely named by an Aussie!! Beautiful area.

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb