The working part begins


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
September 30th 2006
Published: December 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The lakeThe lakeThe lake

This is where i work guys..nice?

Rocky Mountains here i come...



Well the time has come where i must work. After a few weeks travelling around my next destination is Jasper.

Almost missing the shuttle because of useless cab/bus drivers, and mind you it wasn't the first time it happened, I leave Edmonton. It was a nice drive with plenty of scenery but before long darkness crept up meaning no mountain views until tomorrow. Met a few fellow Aussie's on their way back to work along with a German and a few Canadians.

Arriving to meet my roomie, I was offered a 'complemtary' beer and fell asleep soon after. The next day i woke to find i was surrounded by huge mountain peaks. We had a few things to take care of first but then had a chance to walk outside and take in some of the scenery.

Orientation was 2 days and involved a lot of blah blah don't shoot the animals your in a national park talk. Oh and the whole watch the Elk they will charge you down... hehe yep, they were right. We then got shown around the lodge and honestly i still ask where things are now!
JPLJPLJPL

Across from the lodge at the other side of the lake

Since then I managed to get promoted into bartending on my second or third week since there weren't positions when i applied.

Always lots of partying here and then when you have time off, boy oh boy its time to explore and do things! Currently I have moved into an apartment which you can see in the photos and as for the lake, below zero means it's frozen! Winter has only just begun, here comes the snowboarding, icewalking in canyons, dogsledding, scenic plane tours, ice shoeing skating sliding and diving, and thats just another mouth full for you to read in my next blogs so don't change the channel just yet!...

...I'll keep you posted from Canada ... eh?!

Dan.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lake in the SummerLake in the Summer
Lake in the Summer

Plenty of leisure activities in the summer
Another LakeAnother Lake
Another Lake

Not sure which lake this is but it's close
Jasper Park Lodge (JPL)Jasper Park Lodge (JPL)
Jasper Park Lodge (JPL)

This is the side of the lodge facing the lake
Swimming in the winter?Swimming in the winter?
Swimming in the winter?

You got it. This pool actually connects into the lodge and you swim out. It's heated to a nice temperature too..
Frozen lakeFrozen lake
Frozen lake

Yep when it gets below zero water does freeze. This is the lake now and stays frozen until March/April. Ice skating and hockey is played on these lakes...sweet huh?
Inside the lodgeInside the lodge
Inside the lodge

This is the shopping area inside the lodge..there are a fair few shops and stuff here including pool and ping pong tables, arcade games, a cafe, hairdressers, massage theoropy place, mini cinema, clothing stores and a convenience store.
Christmas treeChristmas tree
Christmas tree

Yes we have a big christmas tree inside. They celebrate Christmas in November before the real one comes in December.
My placeMy place
My place

This is looking out my front door. It's like a little village of apartments far enough away from the lodge it's a whole new little town itself
House warmingHouse warming
House warming

My house warming party with my fellow colleages that lasted a whole hour and a half until it was shutdown by security. Are all my parties really that crazy...??
Me and KatieMe and Katie
Me and Katie

Me and Katie. Katie we love your cute little rosy cheeks!


9th December 2006

Your photos...
Stop poking your damn tongue out!
16th December 2006

Hey Dan glad you are having an awesome time - you're making me wonder whether I should go travelling instead of buying a house!
18th December 2006

THAT TONGUE!
I AGREE SARA. IN THAT WEATHER THAT TONGUE WILL FREEZE AND SNAP OFF! YOU WILL QUICKLY RUN OUT OF THINGS TO POKE OUT WHEN YOU POSE.
2nd January 2007

Jealous!
Your photos are absolutely amazing Dan! Your work looks really nice i might have to look into staying there later on this year when we come on over for christmas. I can't wait to get back there let me give you the tip! Extremely jealous about the glorious freezing weather you would be in right now, it is grossly hot here right now. Well take care and keep the blog updates coming i look forward to them !

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb