Jaunt to Jasper - Wednesday 2016 October 5


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper National Park
October 5th 2016
Published: October 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Old Man PeakOld Man PeakOld Man Peak

Above Jasper Park Lodge
The “Advanced Hike” this morning started on the familiar path around Lac Beauvert. Our guide pointed out the artificial loon nest far into the lake. The nest of logs and reeds was designed to make loons feel safe from canoeists. Wonderfully, the project was a collaboration between Parks Canada and the Jasper High School. She also drew our imaginations into seeing the ancient chief in “Old Man Peak”. On the other side of the lake, fresh snow on the mountain tops glowed pale pink in the morning light .

We diverted on to Old Fort Road, and after a while came to a set of 81 stairs (about 40, she had said!) up to a view point - we overlooked a passage of braided bends in the pale blue Athabasca River. Wondering about my own sanity, I joined about half the group to trek up a steep incline (about 130 metres elevation) to find the view of the Lodge and the town.

Our best reward came almost immediately – a male Big Horn Sheep was grazing calmly about 50 metres from the path, accompanied by three females. Many photos later, we continued the increasingly steep and rocky ascent, where just near the top I predictably took a difficult and wrong path. “What are you doing?”, asked our guide too late. “I don’t know!”, I plaintively answered. At last in the right spot, I joined the others in marvelling at the breathtaking scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Group of Seven compositionGroup of Seven composition
Group of Seven composition

If only I could paint!
Athabasca RiverAthabasca River
Athabasca River

non-highway access
Natural artNatural art
Natural art

Athabasca River
Mountain SheepMountain Sheep
Mountain Sheep

Very used to hikers
Canada Goose Canada Goose
Canada Goose

Too prevalent, but still beautiful


1st November 2016

A through-truss bridge!
And some wonderful colours, too. Sounds like a marvelous hike, even with (or maybe because of) the surprises.
5th November 2016

Bridge Construction
Wow! You know your engineering.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb