Canadian Rockies Part 2 - Jasper and back to Kamloops


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper National Park
April 26th 2009
Published: April 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The road from Banff to Jasper - My god. It was breathtaking - even more than Banff! Nicest drive I have ever done by a mile - and I dont think I will be topping it any time soon!

Along the way we stopped at Lake Louise - another scenic lake beautiful - which was frozen over and walked across a bitof it - kinda scary!

Stopped at the Columbian Icefields as well, where there is a lake which is Frozen all year round. With a glacier in front of it. We had to make our own trail up to it as it was covered in snow and making our own trail cold of gone pretty wrong as there was a river there which was also covered in snow....luckily enough we spotted the bridge before makingthe mistake of walking over the river! It was still impressive to see even though it was mostly covered in snow.

Arrived in Jasper early evening and just chilled out that evening watching the hockey.

Active day next day. Walked a Trail along the river maligne which was nice. Jumping over rocks and what not. Drove onto Mirror lake and Lake Maligne. We also stopped at Abthasca Falls, half was frozen over which was cool and then other half was running water. Interesting. Walked aroun there - again beautiful. Limited in what I can say about it! As everything I have seen in the Rockies has just been beautiful. Highly recommend anyone to go there - loads to see, lots of outdoors stuff, wildlife (saw a chipmunk wasnt sure if he was Alvin, Simonor Theodore though).

Drove back to Kamloops next day. Where we were met by Thomas's cousins and there freinds. During the time we had been away they had made a potato cannon - ie a homemade cannon that shoots potatos - We took the dirtbike and a off road truck up to the bush with the potato cannon. Was an ace day. Driving off road in the box of a Truck was a great experience you get covered in dirt and thrown around causing much bruising! Totally worth it. Shooting the potato cannon was brilliant - aimed for some ducks in a lake but it fell short =( The thing flies for miles.

Also had a go on the dirt bike was my first time - and probably my last - I couldn't steer or change gear so I kinda let the hills take me where they wanted; which happend to be straight into a tree!

Will be in Kamloops for a couple of days and then heading off to Vancouver.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb