Leaving Vancouver and onwards to Edmonton


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Edmonton
August 30th 2006
Published: August 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vancouver LibraryVancouver LibraryVancouver Library

The library modeled after the cololiseum
Since i last wrote i have left Vancouver and moved on to Edmonton. Had a great time in Vancouver. Its a beautiful city and very easy to get around in; i intend to go back for a longer stay. Its go a good train system and buses going where the trains don't. On my last day I took a bus tour in an open top bus. It showcased all the areas of the town with some new feature likes the public library (i didn't go in incase you were all gasping in disbelief) which is modeled on the roman coliseum, and the older areas like gastown which is where the early settlers lived. When i get my laptop working (i need a new power pack) ill post photos of these.

Friday afternoon i flew out to Edmonton. Its was quite an affair getting through all the security even for a domestic flight. About 7 hours from leaving one hostel until i checked in to the next.

Saturday Mel and Nico arrived, and i booked me and Nico a room at a motel thats attached to a truckstop. Well i can say that was an experience in itself. Before Nico
Steam Powered ClockSteam Powered ClockSteam Powered Clock

This ones for dad. Its a clock powered by steam in the gastown area
arrived i went and grabbed a feed at the diner. I was sitting by myself and ended up talking to this truck driver called Tim. He bought me a couple of drinks we had a chat, then i went back to my room. Nico got in about 9 and wanted some food. since we had no car, it was back down to the diner. Before Nico had order his dinner, Tim (still in the pub in the same seat) had challenged us to a game of pool and ordered another round of drinks. Who are we to deny such a request i ask. And the night went on from there. It was a great first night in Edmonton, and while the company cleary had a bit of as drinking problem they were very hospitable. Tim also put us on the right track at finding a good canadian beer, tried to marry us off to his daughters, and taught us a new saying. "You know what pisses me off?.........Nothin" im guessing you had to be there.

Bit of a late start Sunday. (Nico can at lest use the jet lag excuse). We eventually made our way to the West Edminton
GastownGastownGastown

Not a great photo, but this shows the building style of the origional settlements.
Mall. It is huge and will have to be detailed in another entry. But i did ride the rollar coaster!!



Advertisement



30th August 2006

rollercoaster
wow, so they have a rollercoaster in the mall?? that is huge. keep up the drinking show them canucks what us kiwis can do lol!

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb