Vipers & Oilers!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Edmonton
May 24th 2006
Published: May 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

VipersVipersVipers

Abe, Grant, Giavanna & Cheryl at the baseball game
Hi folks,

Been a busy week! spent a few days doing school cricket clinics at Senator Pat (or monty as I like to call it) Burns junior high trying to enlighten the Canucks on the game. Followed that up with a trip to the season opening Calgary Vipers baseball game on Thu night. Pretty good fun! There was an Aussie pitcher, heap of guys from U.S, Japan, Sth America, and just one lousy Canadian. And he WAS lousy.

The match was played against the highly fancied Gary (who names a city Gary???) Railcats. The standard was ok, some average throwing and catching cost the Vipers, who went down 9-5. Discovered wheat beer and instantly banned it from future consumption along with the tree beer from Kelowna. Got into the spirit of the crowd by sledging the Gary boys with such gems as "You couldn't hit water if you fell out of a boat" & "Hey No. 12, your mum rang and she wants her swing back". Pure genius.

Spent the long weekend just gone in Edmonton coaching the Provincial U23 team. We had 7 guys from Calgary & Edmonton each, and ended up winning the Western Provincial title
Speed GunSpeed GunSpeed Gun

Grant threw a girly 62 miles an hour. Outclassed by my amazing 64mph!
as we went undefeated against Manitoba, British Columbia & Saskatchawon. It was a very talented squad, one of the guys had already represented Canada, and a couple of others may do in the future.

The first game saw our two openers put on a lazy 306 for the first wicket, not a bad effort! We totally outclassed the inexperienced Saskatchawon squad, but had much closer games against BC and Manitoba. The ground we played at was very pretty, and had a nice, fast surface thanks mostly to its location next to a large golf club. Possibly I may need to move to Edmonton to score some runs!

Hit Whyte Avenue on Friday and Sunday night hanging out with the Feral (and I MEAN FERAL!) Edmonton Oiler fans. They are 2 nil up over the 'not so mighty duck' and the place was going off! Literally thousands of people lining one Ave with cars driving past honking horns and yahooing. You know when there a hundreds of cops and riot police lining the street that it is probably not recommended to yell out "Go Flames Go" if you want to live a long and healthy life!

Anyway, survived driving on the wrong side of the road, & evn followed an awesome lightling storm on the way home for aboot and hour.

Got some nice photos from Victoria and Matt of the bub, she certainly is a cutie. Blues appeared to have the weekend off, and Essendon still stink. YOU BEAUTY!

Catch y'all later


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

ScoreboardScoreboard
Scoreboard

Go Vipers GO!
Abe, G, & GAbe, G, & G
Abe, G, & G

Stay away from the wheat beer!
Alberta U23 ChampsAlberta U23 Champs
Alberta U23 Champs

The winning team! including CCA president Ben Sennick.
306 opening partnership!306 opening partnership!
306 opening partnership!

Nafeez & Jay, the openers for ALberta U23 both score centuries on the opening day.
Alberta GuysAlberta Guys
Alberta Guys

Kendon, Tahlal, Habib, Yawar, waiting to bat...
Kendon & Ben Sennick Kendon & Ben Sennick
Kendon & Ben Sennick

Alberta captain recieves the winning trophy from the CCA president
Mukul & Crystal Mukul & Crystal
Mukul & Crystal

Wearing their stunning mexican hats on Whyte Ave after the Oilers game
Random OilersRandom Oilers
Random Oilers

Crazy Edmonties


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb