There’s nothing much to see at 40,000 feet


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
June 25th 2011
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

From 40,000 feet over GreenlandFrom 40,000 feet over GreenlandFrom 40,000 feet over Greenland

I told you there wasn't much to see!
The hoards snaked around the concourse, inching closer by the hour to cattle stalls that doubled as check-in desks.

Gatwick Airport’s South Terminal was heaving – and it was only 8.30 in the morning. We’d spent a comfortable night at the Gatwick Hilton (see Trip Advisor for review) and, after a sumptuous breakfast, we’d strolled down to Departures.

Excuse me for gloating, but we’d booked Premium Class for our 8½ hour flight to Calgary and we weren’t about to join the masses. We had our own priority desk and, in three minutes flat, clutching our boarding cards, we were on the escalator up to the new, state-of-the-art security area. Having taken off most of our clothes for scanning and been declared fit for purpose, we were soon enjoying the shopping-mall-cum-departure-lounge and a three-mile walk to our departure gate.

Once there, it seemed like only minutes before we boarded one of Thomas Cook’s seven Airbus A330-200 aircraft. Comfortably seated in cavernous leather chairs, we were served drinks by cheerful ladies in pale blue, wearing round their necks what looked like the new serviettes we’d bought only last week in John Lewis’s sale.

Push-back was on schedule, the safety demonstration was typically animated and we were soon at 40,000 feet, cruising along at a ground speed of 910km (550 miles) per hour.

To relieve the monotony, dollies pushed their trolleys up and down the aisles at regular intervals. They brought a free copy of ‘Hello’ or the hugely unpopular ‘FIFA’ magazine. They invited us to partake of a drink and nibbles, and then a many-course lunch (fruit salad, a choice of chicken with sauté potatoes or sausages and mash (the latter a first for me on any flight ever!), a roll and butter, lemon cheesecake, cheese and biscuits, and a choccie, plus red or white wine and tea or coffee). Later, they brought along a tiny chocolate ice-cream cornet, then more drinks, the inevitable duty-free booze and baccy, and a very English scone with strawberry jam and Rodda’s clotted cream afternoon tea. The trolleys at the back of the plane were unlikely to have been as frequent or as well-stocked!

I mention this wealth of fodder, not to make you or those in Cattle Class jealous, but to highlight the fact that, when there are only clouds and more clouds outside your window, you need something to take your mind off them. Seat-back screens with the latest films are all well and good – but give me food and drink any time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb