DAY 55, MAY 8,2010


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
May 9th 2010
Published: May 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DAY 55, MAY 8, 2010

We left Golden, British Columbia after Kirk checked out an antique store for old canoes. Always the collector!
We thought yesterday was spectacular but it certainly did not compare to what we saw to-day.
The drive from Golden took us along the Trans-Canada #1 and we drove about 350 km. in total.
We entered Yoho National Park and went through Kicking Horse Pass. The mountains rose all around us and were covered in snow and glistening in the sun. The tempreture was about 7*C, sunny and cool. Perfect driving weather.
Our first stop was the Natural Bridge on the way in to Emerald Lake near the town of Field.
I will try and insert some pictures. I have not yet figured out how to do it beside the appropriate text. Oh to be 10 again or to have my grandchildren with me to show me how!
The scenery, the crystal clear emerald colored water, the water rushing through the rocks, the snow capped mountains were all so magnificient. The beauty of it all is so over whelming.
We had our lunch at Emeral Lake Lodge sitting in the diniingroom over looking the lake that is still covered in ice. They say it will take another week before the ice goes out. If the weather stays cool it may be longer. It didn't interfer with us having the best time.
Our next stop was Lake Lousie, Alberta. We have all seen the beautiful pictures of the glacier at the end of this beautifful green lake but again it was all white with snow and ice. With the sun shining, white fluffy clouds shrouding the mountain tops it was a picture to behold. We had High Tea at the Chateau Lake Lousie. It reminded me of having High Tea with Alexandria at The Chateau Laurier in Ottawa last year. Memories are what life is all about!
We along with 5 other car chased a grizzely along the road until he ran into the bush. It was exciting while it lasted. Then we saw two deer, and then then two Elk and then a herd of Big Horned Sheep. They had taken possession of the road and were not sure if they were going to let us by. Great picture taking.
We arrived in Banff (after losing an hour as we have gone into a different time zone ) about 7:30. We are staying at the Delta Royal Canadian Lodge on the main street. Believe it or not but the town in almost sold out with a wine festival and dancing competitions going on.
We are hoping to go to the Banff Springs for a Mother's Day Brunch to-morrow before we head off to Jasper.
Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb