Evening walk in Canadian Rockies & Walk ON Lake Louise


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
March 27th 2021
Published: March 30th 2021
Edit Blog Post

#heygo http://www.heygo.com

Patrick’s son joined him for the evening walk. Finn is 14 and a charming young man, he demonstrated how to make yourself bigger if you come across a bear, he also showed the bear spray he always carries. At the moment the bears are sleeping but they will soon be waking from their winter slumber.

We saw a couple of mule deer and listened to the birdsong in the trees.

We saw an old beaver dam, amazing how large they are.

A separate tour and we arrived at The Fairmont Chateau Hotel on Lake Louise.

Lake Louise was first conceived by the railway at the end of the 19th century, as a vacation destination to lure moneyed travelers into taking trains and heading West. By the time airplanes and automobiles had displaced the trains, it had gained sufficient renown to have a life of its own. In 1999



Lake Louise (named Ho-run-num-nay (Lake of the Little Fishes) by the Stoney Nagoya First Nation people.

Lake Louise is named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, fourth daughter of Queen Victoria.



The lake has a surface of 0.8 km2 (0.31
sq mi) and is drained through the 3 km long Louise Creek into the Bow River.

We saw skaters on the lake and also hires drawn carriages taking people around the edge of the lake, but our guide was going to walk ON the lake, the snow was about 1 mtr thick with 100mtrs of water below.

Patrick walked approx 3 kilometres almost to the end of the lake where we saw a 300ft waterfall, like everything else it was frozen.

Another great experience with #virtualtrips.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement
















Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb