The Plain of the Six Glaciers


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
September 10th 2009
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

View of Lake LouiseView of Lake LouiseView of Lake Louise

View of the lake with the Chateau Lake Louise in the distance.
This is a walk that starts from the shores of Lake Louise, the trail ascends to the "Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse" Apparently you can see six glaciers from the top, not something you can do everyday, certainly not where we live anyway.

Starting nice and easy with a stretch along the shore of the lake, the trail eventually starts to climb and climb but with the promise of the teahouse as our goal. The trail is about 5.5 km long, it reaches just under 7000ft and took us around 1.5 hrs to reach the teahouse.

With all the views behind us, we are walking through forest for a good part of the way until we break free from the trees and appear above them. Ahead we get a great view of one of the glaciers, Lower Victoria Glacier. Looking back we can see the Chateau on the lake (hotel) but it doesn't look that far away, i think it's because we've only been making slow progress uphill.

When we arrived at the teahouse, of course we had "tea" and Tray settled to have a sit in the sun for a while, whereas i noticed that there was
Half WayHalf WayHalf Way

On the trail up to the teahouse
another trail (1.4km) to a higher viewpoint, well it was there so i thought, may as well, i might not come back here again.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Tea HouseThe Tea House
The Tea House

A bit of a cramped affair, but it is right up a mountain and the staff have to carry the supplies up here.
TeahouseTeahouse
Teahouse

Tea & Scones at the teahouse, how very civilised.
ViewpointViewpoint
Viewpoint

The highest viewpoint i could get to, couldn't see all six glaciers though.


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb