Canada - The Land Of Big


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
September 20th 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Canada is our penultimate destination.

We have allowed 12 days to drive from Calgary to Vancouver via the Rocky Mountains. Our motorhome is huge and feels luxurious - it would have been far too big for many of the roads of Europe and the UK.

After picking up the motorhome we drove the short distance to Banff. Soon after leaving the metropolis of Calgary the roads widen and the expanse of the countryside is obvious. The driving is very easy .

In Banff we visited the Upper Banff Hot Springs - outdoor springs/pool with a wonderful view over the mountains. After Banff we headed North and visited Johnson Canyon. The walk along the canyon was wonderful, and somehow just what you expected from the Rockies.

Lake Louise is approximately half way along the Icefields Parkway (Hwy) between Banff and Jasper. Lake Louise is picture perfect, and is surrounded by mountains. Lake Louise also supplied us with a special something for the first time this trip. A campfire (we kept it modest ie. not big ).

After Lake Louise we visited the Columbian Icefields. The icefields are massive, but again the affect of global warming is far to evident.
In Jasper we had lots of great walks. We spent a very warm afternoon at a local lake (with very cold water). Jack actually went fullly in.... five times !!!

Time to head West. Spent the first night at Wells Gray National Park. Whilst there the salmon were 'running'. Watching them trying to jump up the rapids made you feel like an Olympic judge, and you found yourself scoring each attempt.

Whilst at Wells Gray we also had a tentative look for bears. We wanted to see bears, but not too close. The idea is that whilst walking along you make noise, so as to 'warn' the bear you are coming and not startle them. No luck. A couple we met along the track had just seen 2 bears. Maybe we made too much noise (?).

Between Wells Gray and Whistler the countryside was very dry in contrast to the mountains. At Whistler we stayed at a RV park just out of town.

We caught a gondola and ski lift up to the top of Whistler Mountain. The rim walk around the top of the mountain was probably the hardest walk that we have done all trip. It involved lots of scrambling up rocks, and you seemed to be forever going uphill.

From Whistler it is only a short drive to Vancouver. We had a walk around the Stanley Park, which is a good way to see different aspects of Vancouver Bay.

LA next, and a final dose of Disney.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Icefields GlacierIcefields Glacier
Icefields Glacier

Ah Pure Water


30th September 2008

Welcome Home
Hi Guys, By the time you read this, you will probably be home... Where is home?! Hope your place will be ready etc. Good on you Luke and Bron for creating these family memories that will last a lifetime and is something that no one can take away from you. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Carl...you got that sledgehammer ready? Cheers Tracey

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb