At Sea to Bermuda


Advertisement
Bermuda's flag
North America » Bermuda
May 18th 2016
Published: May 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 11 - Sunday, May 15, 2016 - At Sea - Weather forecast: mostly sunny - actual temperature: 21°C/70°F - intermittent rain showers in morning - winds 27 knots, 7 Beaufort - clocks had advanced one hour overnight



The day was spent relaxing and trying to rid ourselves of head colds; mine is passing but Brooke’s is sinking into her chest, which means added misery for her.



Since we were part of the passengers who had boarded in Montreal, on what HAL referred to as a Collectors voyage, the ship treated us to a special luncheon called Indonesian Rijsttafel. The lunch consisted of traditional food from that area of the world and included: Krupuk - shrimp crackers; Gado Gado - green salad topped with tofu, steamed green beans and hard boiled eggs accompanied by a creamy peanut dressing; Soto Ayam - lemon grass and lime leaf flavored Indonesian chicken soup with glass noodles finished with a hint of coconut milk; Rijsttafel - A traditional Indonesian lunch consisting of spice rubbed chicken sate with peanut sauce, meat ball beef Sumatra, pork in sweet soy sauce, crispy shrimp with chili sauce on Java style fried rice topped with sliced omelet and scallions; dessert was rice pudding with palm sugar sauce. Now while this might sound like an extremely heavy lunch it was in fact surprisingly light.



In the early afternoon Brad and I attended an International Beer Tasting, where Louis, one of the bartenders introduced us to 4 different beers. Following that I tried to catch up on blog preparation before heading off at 3:00 for today’s movie. They were showing Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. By the time I got back to the cabin I needed to change for “Gala” night - HAL’s new way of referring to “formal” night. At dinner we sat with a couple from New York, a couple from Halifax, and a lady from Oakville. We had a lively discussion over our dinners.



Following dinner we passed on going to the show and instead Brooke retired to the cabin to rest while I went for a walk on the Lower Promenade where Brad joined me for several laps. On one pass of a forward stairwell that backs onto the stage in the Showroom at Sea the stage crew and the Cruise Director were escorting one of the female dancers to the Sick Bay. She was holding a wad of paper towels under her nose and was in obvious pain, so we suspect that due to the rolling of the ship she must have collided with her dance partner.



Brad had ordered some DVD’s from the ship’s collection and retired to his cabin to view them while we crashed for the night.





No photos for this blog today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb