Bermuda


Advertisement
Bermuda's flag
North America » Bermuda » Saint George
May 25th 2011
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Having arrived in Bermuda on the 6th May, we've been here now for just shy of 3 weeks.

We've seen several boats come in and depart on the same journey we're expecting to undertake - the Snark, Bavarian Spirit, Triple D, Otra Vida, and while they have been filling up with jerry cans of extra fuel, we have been waiting patiently for a better weather window. It's possibly a futile exercise as who knows when it's going to come. Daily emails from all those guys is telling us that there hasn't been a lot of wind around and when there is, it's often on the now.

However, after receiving a slightly better window, we are planning on leaving tomorrow. Hence, my brief input into the blog to try to get everything up to date before doing last minute checks, updates and victualling. Having been ready to leave a week after arriving, that has slowly been degrading with each passing day, but we haven't huge amounts to do.

It's been a very pleasant place to be whilst waiting for weather. St George's is a UNESCO site, so we feel quite at home! I think some of the most striking thing about here is the people and the history. It's a place that is quite proud of its history and has retained much of that in numerous museums and forts around the island. It's still a British Overseas Territory but with the proximity to and almost all visitors being American or Canadian it is visibly influence that way. The accent of the locals is American with a west country lilt.

Hopefully we'll make it to the Azores, but any significant weather developments cound mean we head straight for the UK instead.

See you soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb