Border Crossing


Advertisement
Middle East
February 28th 2010
Published: March 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

What a day this has been !

The beach resort we stayed at our last night in Egypt was wonderful . Large rooms (mine was on the second floor and called the panorama room for I had uninterrupted views in 3 directions ), fresh seafood for supper , games room , diving shop , and an assortment 0f laid back folks in attendance . It was right on the beach and when we arrived ,a little cold and sore from the mountain expedition , it felt like paradise . Last night after supper we had a fire beneath a full moon and watched "Mama Mia " laughing and singing along for most of film . Good fun ! We were quite pleased that the next day we were going to be able to enjoy the space until noon before catching the ferry to go to Jordan.

NO SUCH LUCK...Strange weather again . The wind kept picking up all night and the sound of waves crashing on the beach woke me around 3am . The wind openned the windows on one side of my room around 4 ,,, around the same time as the call to prayer . At sunrise the sky was still blue but there were serious waves on the Gulf . The fishermen were sitting on the beach watching and waiting ... they eventually left .

It was not pleasant . At breakfast we found out that the ferry would probably be cancelled as the water was way to rough . That meant we would drive to Aqaba and in the process leave Egypt , enter Israel and the leave Israel to enter Jordan...a tiring adventure but one that went quite smoothly . The contrasts , after driving through sand storms with little visiblity ,were interesting .

Taba , the Egyptian area prior to the border is full of 5 star resorts some of which were built by the Israelies 30 years ago . It is awesome mountain desert with very little in place except isolated resorts on the seaside .We walked through that border and into Israel.

Eilat , the Israelie area is full of hotels , shopping areas , a city feeling that is bustling and filled with people .A few of the bags were searched but it was not an unpleasant time . GAP had arranged for someone to meet us there and drive us to the Jordan border .

Jordan is barren at the border ... sand , some vegetation . Contrasts .
Ryad , Our guide picked us up there as we left Israel and did the paper work required to enter Jordan.

The experience wasn't a negative one but we were a little anxious because of the unknown . The only negative moment was when we discovered that we had to pay a $31US exit fee to leave Israel . The worked out to about a dollar a minute while we were there . Oh well.

We arrived and are able to continue . The weather is supposed to clear and the storms of the past week are to end. Here's hoping.













Advertisement



2nd March 2010

What a trip!
It sounds like everything is going well even with the few little hiccups along the way. I eagerly await each of your messages and enjoy travelling through your eyes. Thanks for including me in your list of contacts. Travel safe! Cathy Moen
2nd March 2010

Will you have to pay $1/mon. for a longer stay?
Isn't that weird? Sounds like you are getting interesting weather like other parts of the world. Earthquakes, tsunamis, rains, floods, snowstorms. It all adds to your overall adventure. Glad it worked out well. Nettie wrote that Bryon's Dad was ok. But have not heard anything since. So don't know. No news from SK, MB or BC. So I assume all is well. We are well. Only 23 more nights here. Then north to Penticton. We await your next update. R&C
3rd March 2010

Where was the beach resort in E?
we stayed at one in Hurgada and loved it. we went on a glass bottom boat tour with a bunch of Egyptians who were having even more fun than we were.
3rd March 2010

Never a dull moment - continue having wonderful experiences! But take care!
3rd March 2010

Egypt
Pam is all sounds great, it is hard to beleive that the time has gone bye so fast. We look forward to hearing more about this adventure and to seeing your pictures. I hope the weather stays clear, our has been cold and very windy, Atlant had snow again. Take care of yourself and enjoy.
3rd March 2010

It's fun travelling with you
Hi Pam. Carol and I are border crossing tomorrow as well - Managua to Houston to LA to Palm Springs. I anticipate culture shock, having lived pretty simply in Grenada and San Juan Del Sur, but at least we're not going directly to snow. And I won't miss the rice and beas (pinto guyaa(sp?) that much. Thanks for keeping in touch like this. We think of you every day. Brenda
3rd March 2010

So interesting
Hi, We enjoy your travel and ecapades;sounds wonderful. A dream come true. Be safe ; enjoy!!! We are in Medicine Hat and the Chinook is great but not Mexico. Things are stabilizing with Bryon's Dad so that is good. He turned 92 today. We will celebrate for him and with him. Keep in touch. Nettie
4th March 2010

what a day. sounds great.
4th March 2010

Weather
lol, it is always interesting how no matter where we may be the weather always affects our lives... Still I would rather have yours than ours, LOL!!! Sounds like you are having a great time :-) Sarah

Tot: 0.659s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb