Dubai


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After 22 hours of flying we landed in Dubai at 11pm local time. The airport is impressive and the cues are well managed and extremely quick, which of course we appreciated after our long trip.

Right out the gate we made a rookie travel mistake by not getting into a clearly marked taxi instead getting into a Lexus with no meter ?. The driver was completely unaware of the way to our Airbnb villa on the Palm (or at least that’s what he said) after handing him my phone - with google maps open we were able to reach our destination. Instead of the fare being about 100 aed (36 CAD) it was 170 AED ?. We have defiantly been taken worse it still stung a little as we knew better.

The Villa is absolutely beautiful and a 1/3 of the price of a hotel. After our long haul we slept very well and we slow moving in the morning. Once we got organized we decided to head downtown to the famous Dubai Mall.

We spent the day here and it did not disappoint. There is beautiful design features as well as a huge waterfall and aquarium.

The Burj Khalifa is attached to the mall and is a must do. We were rocked up to the 125th floor our ears popping the whole way. It’s a pretty impressive sight to be so high in a building (you can go to the 148th floor for a premium) it’s an amazing engineering story.

Once done there we watched the fountain show which is similar to Vegas style display. We were defiantly tired when we arrived back to the room but forced ourselves to get dressed and go for dinner hoping to stay awake until 10!

After a pretty sleepless night we got up to go for our walking tour of old Dubai. This was a little bit more of the Dubai we had hoped to see with an excellent guide we spent 3 hours learning about the history and beginning of Dubai which by the way was only a century ago. Young for this part of the world.

While in the spice market the young men were trying to sell Kevin “rock viagra” ??. We all got a bit of a laugh at the name!

We visited the Gold Souk and bought a new chain for my necklace and a string of pearls in honor of dad. Pearls for tears. It seemed appropriate. Off to Abu Dhabi in the morning!

We did made a fairly big mistake today, when rushing to get on the train we inadvertently got into the woman’s only car. Kevin looked around for a bit when all the woman were staring at him and realized his error. Thankfully he was able to ge to the men’s only car without and issues but one can see how you could end up in trouble here. Also “flipping the bird” here will give you a minimum 1 month jail sentence for imigrants and then sent home and 3 months for residents and then a fine. They take this so serious in fact that they removed the emoji from whatapp. ?. Good thing I’m reformed!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Shadow art Shadow art
Shadow art

This was very interesting and beautiful.
Sunday giving Sunday giving
Sunday giving

A wealthy man speaking to needy people every Sunday and hearing their stories and needs then deciding who to give money to and how much. Apparently the crowd grows All day.
Spice market Spice market
Spice market

I never get tired of these beautiful smells as arays of spices in the places we have visited.


10th May 2018

Have Fun!
Looks like you're having a wonderful trip! I look forward to hearing about your adventures when you get back!

Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb