Bling City


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
September 4th 2006
Published: October 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

02/09/06 - 04/09/06 Dubai, UAE

We arrived in Dubai aka Bling City aka City of White Range Rovers early morning and headed for our hotel - The Arabian Courtyard in the center of the Old Town. - Not a glass and Steel magnificent structure on it's own stretch of private beach but overlooking the old fort, Dubai museum and spitting distance from the river and Gold and Spice souks.

We took a boat trip along the river and headed for the souks to nose around.
The Gold Souk was 2 rows of jewelers and the spice souk small alleyways with sacks of cinnamon saffron, etc...

We headed for Jumiah beach to check out the iconic Burj Al Arab and passed huge amounts of building work. Dubai is certainly very much under construction - including what will be the world's highest building, when finished! And they can keep adding sections if someone else in the world tries to build higher.

Food consists of 'normal male end of night out food' i.e. Kebabs!! Lamb Kofta, humus, baba Ganoosh and pitta breads. Yum Yum!!

Dubai is famous for it's desert safari trips and 4x4 sunset tours over the sand
Bur Al ArabBur Al ArabBur Al Arab

We didn't stay here - way too pricey!
dunes - more commonly known as Wadi Bashing. Our trip included the standard experiences of Desert BBQ, camel ride and exotic belly dancer. Of course when the belly dancer went hunting for a male assistant from the audience, her eyes just happened to settle on me. I have not included any photos for your pleasure, despite Jeanette snapping away happily with the camera!!! (There is one of me in the official Arabic headgear though)

It was amazing that in our entire time in Dubai we didn't encounter any locals actually working anywhere. All the hotel workers were Filipino and all the taxi drivers Pakistani. Maybe there is soooo much oil money that none of the locals have to work. I have no idea.

Overnight flight to Singapore and on to Ho Chi Minh City(Saigon), Vietnam...




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The old town of DubaiThe old town of Dubai
The old town of Dubai

From our Hotel - The Arabian Courtyard, looking over Dubai Museum
Arabic ManArabic Man
Arabic Man

(ok it's me)


4th October 2006

Capricorn One
Remember that movie - Capricorn One? It was about a faked Mars mission. Now I make no accusations but that Arab headgear looks suspiciously like the one I bought at "Uptown Girl" in Bournemouth! As-salaam-alaikum, effendi! >

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 39; qc: 160; dbt: 0.182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb