Skyscrapers in the sand


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
August 12th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok let's not muck around- Dubai ("Do Buy") is big, really big. Nothing here is done by halves and if it's shopping you're after then welcome home. Dubai is home to countless shopping plazas, including the largest one in the world. Unfortunately, as Carissa will attest to, I'm not a very good retail buddy and found myself moaning about walking aimlessly around the bohemith shrines to consumerism (more commonly known as the mall). That said, it's hard not to be impressed by the sheer size and number of malls, offices, hotels, and residential projects underway here at the moment. Dubai has grown incredibly fast considering that there was not a whole lot here prior to oil exploration commencing in the 1970's.
Carissa and I have spent the last week here hanging out with our mate Kyle who works for the Dubai air wing as a helicopter engineer. The Dubai air wing is responsible for the police aircraft as well as the sheiks private collection planes and helicopters. Kyle has made for a fantastic tour guide with most mornings not starting before 11am - now that's my kind of tour! We experienced the fun of Wild Wadi, a waterpark attached to the Jumeirah Beach hotel, and adjacent to the iconic Burj Al Arab (the world's only self awarded seven star hotel). Wild Wadi is the ultimate lazy man's waterpark, with a host of slides that actually defy gravity and use powerful water jets to propel you up the slide in your inner tube. I also got my surfing fix on the flowrider, a standing wave which gives no mercy when you wipe out.
The other point that should be mentioned regarding Dubai is that it's hot. A Dubai summer averages 45 degrees and every time you step outside it was a giant slap in the face. We had a hard time adjusting and had to limit most activities to the morning or evening as the middle of the day was just brutal. Not that we were complaining as Kyle's digs were luxurious and just right for kicking back watching the Olympics unfold.
Dubai is continuing to leap ahead driven by a construction boom with the skyline being dominated by cranes. Dwarfing all others is the Burj Dubai, the now tallest building in the world and counting. The authorities are yet to release just how tall this bad boy will be. The recurring theme in Dubai seems to be if it's not already the biggest or best in the world, they're working on it.
A big thankyou goes out to Kyle for a wonderful week of fun in the sand, including biking and shooting in the desert, and wandering the creek exploring the gold and textiles souks. Unfortunately our overseas jaunt is coming to an end as we prepare for the marathon journey back to Aus. Until next time. Hoo roo


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb