Day 5 - Abu Dhabi


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Abu Dhabi
September 15th 2015
Published: October 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This morning we headed to Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. Using a couple of the maps that were available we managed to get there no problem. Unfortunately, finding the parking was not so straight forward. We tried twice to get through the main gate, but were refused. It is very clear from the amount of various visible security that they are pretty worried about terrorism. We eventually found the smallest entry of all of them that led out into a huge car park that was still nearly empty at 9.30 in the morning.

The mosque is a very grand elaborate building and can be seen from a long distance away.

We knew that the dress code was very strict, but also know that they gave out abaya´s to borrow. Theresa decided that a black abaya would not be as hot as wearing a jumper. George was told that his dress was acceptable.

Once our clothes were sorted we headed to the tour registration. As the 10.00 tour had only moved a short way, they said we could join that, rather than waiting nearly an hour for the 11.00 tour.

There were about 10 guides to the tour, all in national dress. Most of them were trainees of different levels with a few elders who stepped in when needed. It was very informative and interesting when they described the different materials used in the construction of the mosque.

After the tour we had a quick walk around on our own to get some more photos, Theresa returned her abaya and we returned to our hotel.

We know it should not be anything special, but so glad to get back to the hotel at 1pm to find that it had all been refreshed and we had a new collection of toiletries etc.

This evening we met up with Theresa´s sister Julie who lives here now. Also with her were her partner Mick and youngest son Chris. This is the first time we have met Mick and Chris and only the third time we have met Julie (long story). We are really looking forward to this evening.

As Julie has an Entertainer book for Abu Dhabi, we are eating at the very lavish Naaham restaurant in in Etihad Towers. The hotel is a 5* and the food that we all had that evening was amazing. George does not normally do ´fussy´ food, but thoroughly enjoyed everything that he ordered, as did everyone else. Some really good quality family time was enjoyed by all.

We all chatted away the evening, then went back to Julies apartment for a quick coffee.

Mick helped us rearrange our schedule for the following day, so that they can take us to Yas Island tomorrow evening.

Got back to the hotel, after getting lost again, at about 11.30. What a truly great way to spend an evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb