Did someone say big wooden horse???


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
April 25th 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.4061, 30.174

After a short ferry crossing and escaping the Anzac road blocks, we arrived at the Ancient site of Troy. We organised a guide between us all, so we knew what the blocks of stone actually were supposed to be! She spoke very good English and was most enthusiastic about her work. We saw many of the ruins of all ten cities that had all been built at different stages on top of each other. The most famous being mentioned in the Iliad is believed to be Troy 7, with the stories of Hector, Achilles and Helen. It was interesting how the defences of the city was built, with the top of the walls being smeared in mud and plaster to make them impossible to climb and the gates to the city were around a tight corner allowing no room for a battering ram to be used. Clever engineering for 4000 years ago!!! We spent about an hour here, and played in the replica wooden horse for a while before heading back out of the site for some luncheon in the shade as the sun certainly was beating down on us all. It was then sleep time in the truck after the all nighter of Anzac caught up with us.

Bushcamp was in a beautiful location, on a mountain side, surrounded by goat farmers. One of them was even kind enough to give us 3 dozen eggs for breakfast in the morning. People are so kind. Unfortunately the ground meant that we had to pitch on a slope so i woke up, curled in a bal at the bottom end of the tent.... i am most glad that it wasnt a very wet night!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0973s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb