We Shall Remember Them


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
April 24th 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.4104, 26.6763

Anzac Day is commemorated each year on 25th April, to remember the thousands of Australian and New Zealand soldiers that died on the Turkish shores of the Gallipoli Peninsula. Each year, thousands of people travel from the other side of the world for a day or remembrance starting with a dawn service at 5am. The night before people camp out on the landing beaches, which was our plan too! Surprisingly only 10 of us wanted to go to the service, which shocked me slightly, but it was never in my mind not to go as I think it is important to honour those who died so we may live the way we do today. We were dropped off at about 9 O'clock the night before, with plenty of layers to keep us warm in the night ahead!!

On arrival we received wrist bands as if we were going to a concert, went through security checks and received a free little gift bag with lots of information about the history of the day and a free hat and badge. Oh and poncho which may be exceedingly useful in times to come. As we entered the area for the service, there were people laid out on the floor in sleeping bags…. It looked like a scene from a refugee camp if I am being completely honest. We went to sit in the stands as we had no intension of spooning a random stranger on the floor!! We entertained ourselves for the 8 hrs we had to wait, playing cards, having hysterics about childhood, heart to hearts, sing-alongs with bands and eye spy! We had the occasional snooze now and then, but the plastic seats were not contusive to a good nights sleep.

As the sky began to lighten, a video real started of some of the names of the people that had lost their lives so many years ago. The youngest was not even 16 and the majority were younger than me. It always does hit me, the sadness of the loss of such young lives… may it never happen again. As the service began there were speeches from the Aussie PM was there as were high up ministers from NZ and Turkey (who also lost thousands on the beaches), the Ode of Remembrance was read :
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
and the last post echoed around the hillside. Tears fell, as they always do on 11th November back home and a silent prayer was said.

The day continued for those that had time to stay, but after all the dignitaries had left we had 45mins to hoss to the truck, 4km away ready to go on the road again, further into the depths of Turkey!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb