Turkey : History and Heritage


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
July 15th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi all...
This was one more dream trip I made...to Turkey !!..in May 2011...

This time instead of writing an travel blog, I am making it more informtive !
Sharing my travel itinerary + travel agent details herewith , incase u want to visit Turkey !!
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Day 1 - Arrival in Istanbul - (L/D)
.** As we say in Turkey, HOS GELDINIZ! Welcome to Turkey. We will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel. After a short briefing about your tour,
you will have couple hour free time to refresh then we will continue on the full day tour of Istanbul
This will be a full day of exploring the historical sites of Istanbul.
Sites you’ll see today
* Blue Mosque--World renown for it’s architecture and focal point for worshipping Muslims.
* Haghia Sophia--1,400 year old supreme church from Byzantium times which houses famous Byzantine Mosaics.
* Byzantine Hippodrome-The focal point of the Byzantine Empire during the reign of Constantine. Within it’s center you will see the Egyptian Obelisk and Serpentine Column.
* Topkapi Palace--the residence and leadership center of the Sultans during the Ottoman Empire. It was built in 1459-1465 shortly after the conquest of Constantinople. You will see the Treasury that includes the Topkapi Dagger, the 86 carat Spoon Maker’s Diamond, and the jewel encased bones of St. John the Baptist’s skull and arm bone.
*Suleymaniye Mosque and the Grand Bazaar will also be visited during the tour.
Overnight in ISTANBUL. Stone Hotel - http://www.stonehotelistanbul.com/index.html

Day 2 - Istanbul - (B/L/D)
09:00 you will be picked up from your hotel and we will go on a 2 hours cruise up the Bosporus after the cruise we will visit the Rumeli fortress and at 13:00 we provide lunch and after the lunch we will visit the Dolmabahce palace and then will go a cross from Europe to Asia on the Bosphorus bride and will stop on the Camlica hill ( highest point of Istanbul on the Asian site. After that tour will end then we can either transfer you back to your hotel or drop you off at the Grand bazaar. 17:00 Approx.. time for the tour ending.
Spice Bazaar (Egyptian Bazaar), Mystical smells of different aromas of various spices. Shops selling fruits, vegetables, flowers, fish etc.
Bosporus Cruise, thorough the waterway separating the two continents, Europe and Asia, with a possibility to take photographs of marble palaces, ancient wooden villas of Ottoman architecture besides modern residential of luxurious apartments.
Rumeli Fortress : A monument-art built in the narrowest and flowing section of Bosporus, covering 30.000 m2 area. In preparation to the conquest of Istanbul, the castle was built in about four month period which is a considerably short period. In some historical documents it has been stated that 1000 masters and 2000 workers were employed for construction.
Dolmabahce Palace , the last residence for Ottoman Sultans with 365 rooms and 22 saloons. Famous with the great collection of European antiquity, furniture and 4.5 tons chandelier.
Bosporus Bridge , unique chance to step from one continent (Europe) to another (Asia) in 2 minutes.
Camlica Hill , exposing a panoramic view of Istanbul and Bosporus from the best point of view.
Overnight stay in Istanbul. http://www.stonehotelistanbul.com/index.html

Day 3 - Istanbul to Kusadasi - (B/L/D)
Very early in the morning we will meet you in your istanbul hotel and transfer you to the domestic airport, then we will put you on a 1 hour flight from Istanbul to Izmir. As soon as you arrive then we will continue on a full day tour of Ephesus.
Sites you’ll see today
*Ephesus is one of the best preserved cities from Roman times. At the time St. Paul lived in Ephesus in the 60's AD, it was at it's Roman heyday with a population around 250,000. Ephesus was a great ancient city and much of it has been preserved for you to see. More than any other site, you can walk the streets, stand in the great theatre, wander in the library, see the ancient Roman toilets and baths, and feel that you are walking back into ancient history.
* Temple of Artemis Artemis was a Greek goddess, the virginal huntress and twin of Apollo, who supplanted the Titan Selene as goddess of the Moon.
*The House of The Virgin Mary is where it is believed St. Mary came to live with St. John in the last years of her life. After the tour we will return to Kusadasi where we will spend the night. www.onderotel.com

Day 4 - Kusadasi to Pamukkale - (B/L/D)
After breakfast we will depart from Kusadasi and drive Pamukkale, on the way we will visit Didyma, Miletus and Priene
Sites you'll see today
* Didyma was not an ancient city, but rather a sacred place of pagan worship. It's fame rests in it's Temple of Apollo that was built in the 7th-8th century BC, although the works seen today are from the 4th century efforts of Alexander the Great. The Diymaion Temple was the 3rd largest temple in the ancient world. Soothsaying and prophecies were told here by an elite group of priests for 1400 years until Christianity became the state religion of the Byzantines and ended pagan practices. The temple was famous for its Oracle that gave divine information about the future to the priests who then relayed such prophecies to the worshipping people.
* Miletus was an important commercial and governmental center from 700 BC until 700 AD. Although today this ancient city is surrounded by farm land, when it was at it's peak the Aegean Sea rose to it's city walls. You can still see where the harbor once brought goods to and fro. The most memorable part of visiting Miletus is to sit in one of the 15,000 seats of it's ancient theatre, and then wander the passageways that connect the sections of the theatre. Miletos was known as a city of philosophers who were at the forefront of scientific inquiry. Important Milesians were some of the first to make maps, explain the lunar eclipse, plan towns, recognize the atom and construct an accurate sundial.
* Priene is found in a dramatic setting high up in the mountains, overlooking the farmland way below. It dates back to 300 BC when it was one of the League of Ionian Cities. It's ancient population was 5,000 and had a well planned grid system design for its streets. In early days it had a port but by the Roman period the nearby Maiandros River silted up the land into a swamp.
upon arrival we will visit Pamukkale
*Pammukale means cotton castle in Turkish. It is the result of limestone formations built over thousands of years. Warm calcium rich mineral water flowed over the cliffs and as it cooled it deposited the calcium into the formations that are seen today. Pammukale is now a world heritage site. Arrival in pamukkale, check in the hotel, Overnight stay. http://www.pamthermal.com/ENDefault.html

Day 5 - Pamukkale to Cappadocia - (B/L/D)
After breakfast we will depart from Pamukkale and drive to Cappadocia, on the way we will stop and visit Mevlana Museum in Konya.
*Mevlana Museum is a holy site for Muslims because it is the former lodging place for the whirling dervishes. The architecture and turquoise tiles are a beautiful site for all.
( Note today is not a guided tour, you explore these site on your own.)
In the afternoon we will provide a transfer to Cappadocia, after arrival you will check in the hotel & have a free day to relax and explore Cappadocia on your own. Overnight stay in URGUP Cappadocia.

Day 6 - Cappadocia - (B/L/D)
Today will be spent walking through an underground city where ancient people once fled for their lives escaping the Arab invaders, wandering through Ihlara Gorge and spending time in an Anatolian village. As we will need to drive for awhile in order to reach our first destination, we will be starting out quite early this morning.
Sites you'll see today
*Underground City of Derinkuyu--You will gradually stroll your way down into the depths of the earth in this ancient underground city that has 18-20 floors as deep as 40 meters below the ground. Don't worry, you will only go down to the 8th floor. Cappadocia has around 36 underground cities. Archeologists date these back to the time of the Hittites which lived 4000 years ago.
*Ihlara Gorge will seem like an oasis in the middle of the Anatolian plain. Delve into the gorge and see the beautiful greenery as you follow the river. Around you will see ancient monasteries complete with pigeon holes cut into the cliffs by the monks. They used these pigeons as messengers to communicate with their monk friends!
*Traditional Anatolian villages--The head-scarved women out at work in the fields from sun up until sun-down, and the mustached, vest-wearing men hard at work playing cards in the coffee shops. You will get time to stroll in such a village and see the average Turkish villager at work...or play. Overnight in URGUP - Cappadocia -

Day 7 - Cappadocia - (B/L/D)
This day will be spent exploring the amazing sites of Cappadocia. (For those who have bought optional hot air ballooning tour of Cappadocia ) Very, very early in the morning we will wake up to take a hot air balloon ride over the area. After this we will come back to the hotel for breakfast and a rest before setting out in late morning to see the rest of the sites.
Sites you'll see today
*The World Heritage Site of Goreme Open-Air Museum --This is a cluster of rock cut Byzantine churches, chapels and monasteries which include some wonderful 11th and 12th century frescoes on the cave walls.
*Fairy Chimneys--These geological phenomenon have been shaped over millions of years. They were formed during volcanic eruptions in the region. Reaching at times 40 meters in height, they are conical in shape and have a "hat" top to them.
*Devrent Valley--This valley is know as "the pink valley" because of the color of it's soil. This is a lovely place to wander around and look at the magical rock formations indicative to Cappadocia, including the Fairy Chimneys.
*Uchisar Castle--Also called a fortress, this is actually a formation of two gigantic rocks surrounded by smaller rocks that together form a natural fortress with towers. These formations were inhabited during both the Byzantine and Ottoman times.
*We will also get the chance to visit local craftspeople and learn how they make dolls and create traditional pottery. Overnight stay in Cappadocia.

Day 8 - Cappadocia to Istanbul then to Mumbai - (B)
After breakfast we will provide a transfer to Nevsehir Airport and put you on a 1 hour flight back to Istanbul, After arrival you will walk to the international departures and board your flight to Mumbai.

What our Tour Operator included was:
* All of the hotels ( Each of them individually chosen )
* All of the land transfers with comfortable vehicles
* All of the meal mentioned in the itinerary ( B-breakfast, L-lunch & D-dinner )
* Professional English speaking tour guides
* Domestic flight tickets from Istanbul to Izmir
* Domestic flight tickets from Cappadocia to Istanbul
* All of the TAX and service charges

Excluded items:
* International flight tickets to Istanbul
* Drinks with meals

You may contact Mr Chevy Noratli: on their website www.TurkeyTravelCompany.com .

Will write more later...




Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



28th February 2012

EXQUISITE RUINS
This blog has put Turkey back on the "To Do" list...great blog & pics
3rd March 2012

:) Thanks
I have read through some of your adventures as well....great fun to see the World through your eyes...especially the captions to the pics !

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb