Konya!


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
March 19th 2011
Published: March 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

If this is Saturday, it must be Konya..... Already I've lost track of which day of the week it is. I was hoping to be getting my second wind by now, but not yet. The flights from Dayton to Adana were all mostly uneventful. Lots of time spent in airplane seats, lots of time in airports...and one "rip-off". All the airlines up to the Pegasus flight to Adana from Istanbul had a 50# limit, and we were well under with 35 in one and 36 in the other. Suddenly as we tried to check in at the last flight, we were informed that Pegasus' rules were 15 kg, and we were 4 kg over...please step out of line and go to the ticket office and pay overage fee. So, we did. At least I think it was under 20$, but still....why not be consistent??? Oh well...poorer but wiser.

I am going to attach some pix, but please be kind...they will have little to no commentary and no editing. I am simply too tired!!

Hotel last night was so-so, but tonight it is spectacular. Of course, it is the season for HEAT on the thermostat, and even though I have turned it down as far as I can, it is not particularly cool. In Adana, it was even stuffier in the room. We fumed and fussed. Then I noticed the remote on the top of the tv that worked the air. Wow was that better! Both rooms have had energy-saving deviced that require you to have your room key card in a device so that your lights come on. That took some figuring out, too.

We have had interesting views of the country today. We were in a major agricultural area on the drive to Derbe and Lystra, both of which are mostly unexcavated tells out in the country. There are LOTS of rocks on the ground everywhere. We saw lots of row covers in one area, and vineyards, orchards, and for field crops...wheat. Lots of bare fields waiting for planting, and ground being worked here and there. They use much smaller equipment in much smaller fields, but actually the area is large, it is just that it is divided into small fields.

The country houses have outbuildings, and sometimes the houses themselves, made of sun-dried mud brick with sod roofs. Lots of trash blowing around. A few nice homes on the edges of Konya. People friendly, but their language was a barrier when trying to find something to eat in a store-front sandwich shop in one town.

Gotta go....so tired I can't get my words spelled right. Sleep well.....I will (I woke up to the sound of the muzziens (spelling) calling the faithful moslems to prayer at 4:45am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb