First day


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
September 1st 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.0138, 28.9497

This was NOT a day for the bright and bushy tailed. Both of your authors alternated sleeping and waking (not a great night) until perhaps 4am then we were both sound asleep. HP woke up first (typical), and noting filtered light assumed it to be about 6:30, so he proceeded to the computer to confirm his impression. The computer disagreed indicating 11:20. HP concluded the computer was following another time zone and consulted his watch, which by that time suggested it was 11:21. Continuing in his disbelief, he conferred with Bird's watch, which offered him no support. Oh well, he took his shower, etc. and woke Bird in the "afternoon" (12:02).

We finally made it outside and visited the above sights. Perhaps as we are not as aware of the history, we were not terribly impressed by the sights. We did see a considerable number of women in burkas, much more than on the taxi ride from the airport. We can't assume these folks were all Turks as one private guide was explaining in English the interior of Hagia Sophia to a man and a woman wearing a burka. However, the majority of women reflected what we assume was some form of Islamic conservatism.

Bird and HP


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.5kb