Istanbul, the city of steps, cats and tear gas


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean
May 9th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Michelle at the Blue MosqueMichelle at the Blue MosqueMichelle at the Blue Mosque

The last day of our tour in Istanbul.
Greetings all.

Hope all is well since our last blog.

We've been enjoying the sights of Istanbul. We been able to visit the Blue Mosque, The Topkapi Palace, St. Sofia's catherdal and the Grand Bazaar. This we did with our tour group on the last day.

Since then we've been staying with Emma, a friend I used to work with. We've been delayed a little due to the damage down to Stephen's bag. They've agreed to pay us 100 Euro, and we've found somewhere here to mend the bag. We've seen a few more sights, but basically trying to get this backpack fixed.

Another day we all spent a lovely afternoon in the park, where I learnt how to play backgammon from three players, let just say it was difficult enough then add three people "trying" to help it's just a little harder. The afternoon was filled with beer, nuts and a rose and a mint nargile (Turkish Water Pipe). Being such a sunny day we tried our hardest to order beer in turkish. We received our beers and we each got a complimentary bowl of nuts. Or so we thought. It turns out that the cafe
Michelle and EmmaMichelle and EmmaMichelle and Emma

At the park on a sunny afternoon, relaxing with some Backgammon, beer and nuts.
had actually listed the nuts under the beer section so when we thought we were ordering the cheapest beer on the menu we were actually ordering nuts.


We also experienced May Day in Istanbul, when they expected massive protesting. The square near Emma's Taksim Square is where they will protest and try to commerate 33 people who died in May Day protestions 31 years ago. We needed to get there to pick up the backpack. Unfortunately due to the hundreds of police in riot gear, water tanks and all access to the square shut down. We among the others running with hoods and material covering their faces, had to find a way around it. Stephen was all excited, recounting the time in Paris he and Jason were stuck inside a march. We got into the street we need the back way. Groups of people chanting, waving black flags and always ensuring their faces were covered. Lets just say I wasn't having as much fun as Stephen. Unfortunately the store was closed. Getting back was going to be a problem, tear gas was going off the way we'd came earlier.

That afternoon we headed to the Archaeology museum.
Stephen and AlessandroStephen and AlessandroStephen and Alessandro

On the same sunny afternoon.
There was no public transport so we had to catch a taxi there. I don't know what it is with us and taxi's but this time the guy didn't know where to go and so he kept stopping to ask people. And when he was going the wrong way, well, he didn't see a problem in driving on the tram tracks up a one way street.....the wrong way!

The museum was great. We saw all the relics missing from Troy plus some amazing sarcophagus. The details in the carvings was very impressive. The park in the museum grounds was nice and peaceful so we could recharge before tackling the city again on the way home.

The next day we caught the ferry to Princes' Island, a beautiful little island in the middle of the Marmara Sea about an hour and a half from Istanbul. It's a very touristy thing to do but was well worth it. We booked a ride in a horse and carriage for a tour of the island. It seems that our effect on taxi drivers also works on horse and carriage drivers. On numerous occassion he had the horses galloping around corners, up hills
The view from the CarriageThe view from the CarriageThe view from the Carriage

The view from our carriage on Prince's Island.
and overtaking other carriages. Let's just say that if it was a race, we definitely would have won.
It was great fun and we could not stop laughing the whole time. We calmed down while enjoying traditional Turkish fair (kebabs) for lunch and the "Island Special" - fanastic ice-cream (which is completely different to back home).

We finally got Stephen's bag back from the repairer the next day. They did a brilliant job and only for 20 lira. I don't know if we have mentioned it before but everything in Istanbul is so cheap. Two kebabs and a drink for only 5 lira, half a litre of beer for 1.85 lira. If there was a city we had to be stuck in while sorting out the dmaged bag at least it's a cheap one.

We should also explain the rest of the blog's title. You see Istanbul is built on hills and with hills comes steps. Everywhere you walk it's either up or down stairs. And not nice even stairs where you can get into a rhythm as you go but steps of odd heights and spaces apart so you continually have to watch what you are doing.
Michelle at the Kariye MuzesiMichelle at the Kariye MuzesiMichelle at the Kariye Muzesi

Michelle was taking a photo of herself and Stephen was looking interested in the mosaics that the museum was famous for.


And the Cats! The Turks are mad for feeding stray animals. Seagulls, pigeons, dogs, cats, they don't care. And therefore there are heaps of stray cats. You honestly can't walk down a street without seeing a cat or two. In some places there are packs of 5010 cats.

We leave for Egypt tomorrow and will finally be free of Istanbul but we have had great fun here and have always felt welcome - the Turkish really are such friendly people as well as Emma and Alessandro.

Until next time
Love Stephen and Michelle.


Advertisement



5th May 2008

Sounds good!
Hey Shelle, Istanbul sounds cool as! You were lucky you got to do so many things while you were waiting for the bag. Take care xxx

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb