Sailing Kas


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Kas
August 5th 2009
Published: August 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We've had our first day sailing on our own from Fethiye to a tiny bay on an island called Tersane (one of the southwestern islands in the gulf of Fethiye). You won't find it on a map, but may on google earth. The breeze was 15 to gusting 25 knots and we made really good progress. We had earlier stocked up on as many supplies as we could carry back to the boat, after farewelling Stu. We filled up the water containers, pulled up the anchor and motored into the marina to fuel up. Then it was sails up all the way to our anchorage spot, followed by a swim, a beer and dinner. It's a gorgeous evening, the sun has just gone down and we are totally relaxing. We anchored in this bay 2 years ago with Robert.

WednesdayWe arrived in Kas today after a pretty good spinnaker run all the way from Yesilkoy Limani (I think that's how it's spelt). We averaged about 4-5 knots and it took about 4 hours, with hot sun all the way. We're loving the sailing and the freedom with our 'own' yacht!

Not sure of all the days, but a few days ago we anchored at Seagull Bay, where we had been 2 years ago, and met up with the landowner there again. He picked us some figs from the trees and invited us for several cups of Turkish tea with him. We hope to go back before we leave and have dinner at the new restaurant he is putting in. His 70 year old mother (I thought she was much older!) makes bread in an outdoor wood stove for her grand children to sell to the boaties. We'll get some next time.

Advertisement



6th August 2009

Enjoyment
It sounds as if you are having a ball! We're having a most beautiful day here in the Mighty Manawatu, but I doubt we can match the scenery and the excitement of what you're doing. I hope those winds are behaving themselves for you.
8th August 2009

Sailing Kas
No problem. Maybe you'll learn more about wind directions as well!!!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb