Kalkan, Turkey


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antalya
July 1st 2006
Published: October 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dad and Cheryl had arrived a few weeks earlier and after spending they're first week looking around London, they did a 14 day European Highlights tour which although was very busy they thoroughly enjoyed. After having a few days rest in London they were off again to Istanbul for a few days while Liani and I headed off to the small fishing village of Kalkan where the four of us were going to spend a week tanning in the sun and swimming in the beautiful mediterranian sea.

We were recommended Kalkan as a less touristy option in Turkey and we weren't disappointed. The historic town of Kalkan is an enchanting place and one of the most beautiful locations along Turkey's gorgeous Lycian Coast. With the absence of mass tourism, Kalkan remains a charming and unspoiled haven of lush nature, brilliant blue crystal-clear sea, historic architecture, ancient history and warm traditional Turkish hospitality.

Kalkan curls snuggly around a historic harbour sheltered at the foot of the towering Taurus Mountains. The town overlooks a beautiful bay, while narrow streets twist down to the harbour, lined with old whitewashed villas with shuttered windows situated alongside small local specialty shops and restaurants in historic buildings. Overhead hang original carved Ottoman Greek timber balconies garlanded with thick masses of brilliantly coloured bougainvillea cascading to the streets below. It is a very special place with a unique atmosphere.

On arrival at Dalaman airport we were greeted by our driver who was to escort us down to the village of Kalkan. This entailed a 90min journey through quite mountainous terrain. There were many pine plantations as well as loads of what looked like Australian Eucalypts! Very strange considering how far from the land of Oz we were! Halfway we stopped so the driver could have his complimentary turkish coffee, while we sat near the pool and rested. Finally we arrived at Patara Prince resort where we were to spend the next 7 days. Our room had sweeping views overlooking Kalkan bay and the resort - it was absolutely stunning. We spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around the resort before finding a driver and heading off into town for the evening. We found ourselves watching the last game England played in the world cup with way too many english people, but the atmosphere was fantastic and the drinks were well and truly flowing! We ventured upstairs to one of the rooftop restaurants Kalkan is famous for. There we ate an amazing turkish meal and chatted to Mehmet the owner who was extremely hospitable and welcoming.

The resort itself is built into the hills overlooking the bay and thus provides small, private ledges jutting out from the hillside, from where you can lay in the sun and wile away the days. Bar staff keep bringing drinks and encouraged us to learn a few words in Turkish which was difficult but fun! Liani and I spent our first two days relaxing in the sun and swimming off the platforms of rock that emerge from the hillside. The water here is extremely clear, cold on top and warm underneath. I couldn't work this out until Dad told me the spring water from the nearby mountains feeds into the med and creates this layer of rather refreshing cool water! The salt content is also quiet high resulting in much difficulty diving down to explore the bottom!

Dad and Cheryl arrived a couple of days after us after being in the buzz of Istanbul. Dad didn't waste anytime getting in the sea and cooling off. The next few days blended into one another - we sunned, swam, drank and went out for dinner most nights in the resort. It was one of the most relaxing holiday periods I can remember!

On one of our last nights, we all went into Kalkan to enjoy a meal in the village. I dont know what it was but both Liani and I were sick for the next two days, lying in the room waiting for someone to put us out of our misery! I have never been so sick whilst away on holidays and it is definately not an experience I ever wish to repeat!

All in all though, our holiday was exactly what we wanted and needed - days spent lying in the sun and relaxing in the water, without any alarms or things to do.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb