Dirty and Mean Spirited- Children of the streets


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antakya
June 5th 2012
Published: June 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

ChildrenChildrenChildren

This is a borrowed photo - but it is from Turkey and very accurate. I am just uncomfortable putting a photo of these specific children up. Sorry.
I took our puppy Bebek to walk. We are trying to be kind to it – street dogs have terrible lives here but our situation with her is complicated by the neighborhood. I try to walk her two to three times a day but the children hit at her and I often feel it is unsafe to walk her at all. Today in fact a little boy ran up from behind us and hit her hard on the back. Of course there are no parents to discipline these children. They literally play outside their courtyards, run the streets – all of them looking and behaving little dirty orphans. Yesterday – I came across a boy who choking a smaller one in the street. I ran up to stop him; he then slapped the little boy hard against the face and took off running. Again – no parents. It seems that the children raise themselves. Last night someone remarked on the child we often hear crying nearby. It wails and wails – and there are no voices of comfort. And worse yet, there is no authority to turn them in.

Advertisement



6th June 2012

Kids
It isn't that there isn't anyone to turn them into, it is that there isn't anyone to help them. If they aren't shown how to be kind to one another, then how can you expect them to be kind to animals? They probably have to fight the animals for food. I feel bad for the dog that was hit, but I feel worse for the kids.
18th June 2012

Law
There's no law regarding animals in Turkey? The Turkey Animal Protection Law 5199 is obviously not enforced here. So sad...):
19th June 2012

Animals
It's complicated. The animal laws are enforced in some areas, not in others. They have a good shelter here - it's a no kill but the people are not always nice.

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb