Friends in Strange Places


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antakya
June 12th 2012
Published: June 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I would normally be telling you of the wondrous sites I’ve seen – but this weekend has been pretty boring. However, I did make a great new friend who is from Canada. She is smart, funny and has a gigantic heart for all things furry. No wonder we bonded. That said – here is something else that is absolutely amazing about her – she has worked with exploited women in the sex trade. As a simple American girl I must admit that I really don’t think about sex slavery. We have prostitutes who are self enslaved because of drugs or alcohol usually. The idea that girls are stolen and forced into such things is rather hidden in our culture. Here it is not the case. There are brothels in Turkey. Many of the women are brought in from places like Russia – stolen/sold from an early age. I think it is courageous to care, and painful.

In honor of her work, the work of others and the poor children (girls and boys) who are victims of these horrible crimes, I am posting a link so you can learn more.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/sexslaves.html

Advertisement



12th June 2012

You'd be surprised to learn...
That Wichita, KS is a HUGE stopping place for missing and exploited sex slaves. They are routinely shipped through town (sometimes kept here for days/weeks/months for "services") and on to the East or West Coast. It's sick and sad. How is Bebek?

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.4kb