Here a Mosque and there a Mosque


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast was ready and waiting for me once I showered. Slices of sausage fried, bagels, selection of cheeses, tomato, olives, another sausage dish, tea, and i may just need a new wardrobe soon as I think this lot of clothes will be too small for me at the rate I'm eating.

We took the car to an autopark and then walked into the tourist area to go and see the famous mosques.
The new mosque was built in 1457? and is open to the public as long as you take your shoes off and women must wear a scarf which they provide for you.
There is always a large open area outside the mosque proper, cool and comfortable and serves as a meeting point for families and friends. Taps are provided in this area for the ritual washing prior to prayer. Inside the mosque you can walk around most areas except the men's prayer space and are welcome to take photos.
The women's area is behind screens.
From this mosque we went to the Grand Bazzaar via the small bazaar. Some parts of this are for tourists but on the whole this is where the locals shop.
Getting married is a big business with many shops selling the necessary clothing for the engagement parties, the pre-wedding women's party, the clothes for the day, the shoes, the new house set up and on it goes.
Many shops sell all the latest in hıjab fashion and the very special outfits for the young boys before their ritual circumcision.
The Blue mosque was next with conscruction started in 1609 and open 1616. Mosques are built to commerate a sultan and there must be so many of these because there seems to be a mosque every 100 metres.
St Sophia mosque was initially a Catholic church and became a mosque. An amazing mixture of both religions sit happily side by side with the stand out features being mosaics from the 11th century.

Somewhere in the middle of this we had lunch at Hamdi restaurant which overlooks Galata bridge. 3rd floor dining with so many floor staff who are so happy to wait on each and every need and fast. Meze is the name for the starters followed by lamb and beef Shish and Adama Kebabs. Phew!

My favourite place to visit was the Basilica which is this amazing underground water storage system built in 532 AD by the Bezentine empire. This is right under the road and is a must see to marvel at the engineering ability. Many more examples of ancient sophisticated roads, structures and buildings are dotted around with plaques in English to tell the story.
We ended the day with a walk through Taksim St, 5 million people using this area on a weekend for eating, shopping, night clubbing, and just being out and about.
A late evening meal of meze; vege starters, fish middle, and fruit finishing with lashings of Raki to wash it all down.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb