Friday in Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

WalkıngWalkıngWalkıng

Narrow streets to the Bosphorous Sea
I arrıved in Turkey around mıdday on Friday when Deger pıcked me up from the airport and drove me to his home. He lives with his Mum Gulnur who is a univeristy student, his sister Duygu a lawyer and his Dad Hikmet an engineer. They live in a three bedroom apartment in an area right near the Bosphorous Sea. Houses are very expensive and its common for children to live with their parents until marriage.

The apartment is so neat and tidy and i have been given Duygu's room while she has to sleep on the lounge or whatever bed is not been used. I'm been waited on hand and foot, meals appear and dishes are done, washing done and ironed even and fed like a king.

Lunch was served and Gulnur had made us a traditional lunch of many dishes. Bread and eggplant and minced meat, sliced beans, salad, vine leaves wrapped things, small cheese filled pastries, pınto beans tea and then coffee.

So Friday afternoon Deger and I walked down to the water front and strolled along. Families were out and about, people fished, and enjoyed the wonderful weather. We walked through a small bazaar with stall full of leather work, jewllery, street food which was mostly corn on the cob and mussels. Cold water sellers were everywhere as where the men selling hats and the usual things you may just want like a spinning top or throw toy.

There are quite a few stray dogs and cats everywhere but it's not a major issue.
A nice Turkish beer in cafe and people watching followed by a taxi ride to the fish market for Duygu birthday tea with many people.
The fish market was near a bridge and the restaurant was open air.
Long lines of tables were set out wıth starters. Starters are a selection of food, mainly vegetables dishes with bread and salad. Most dishes are tomato based, lots of yoghurt and grated vege dishes all with olive oil dressing. Also accompanying this was slices of melon and copious quantities of Raki which ıs an aniseed based liqour drunk with water.
Mains was a whole fish and all of this is eaten slowly with 50% of people smoking and drinking and singing and really enjoying the moment.
So my Turkish sucks but people were kind and spoke to me in English and tried to include me in the conversation as much as possible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Deger's bridgeDeger's bridge
Deger's bridge

He worked on this as an engineer
Housing jumblesHousing jumbles
Housing jumbles

Housing has just been added on as it's needed
GulnurGulnur
Gulnur

Doing her thing


Tot: 0.492s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb