Istanbul & Cappadocia


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
October 4th 2006
Published: October 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Big Trip


Do I look a tad apprehensive? Or perhaps in need of a change of knickers? Suffice to say I was just about to have my first date with a cut-throat razor, wielded by a turkish barber, but much worse was yet to come.......

Istanbul was our kinda place: cakes, çay (tea) cats, cinema and cracking fitbaw......throw in the ostentatious Blue Mosque, the eerie 5am Muezzin calls to prayer and the historic Aya Sofya and you've got a heady mix. Mind you, we weren't roy keane on the half-time break when watchin Miami Vice at the movies.....

The Galatasaray fans certainly weren't shy when it came to supporting their team, but our 'Welcome to Hell' at the Ali Sami Yen stadium was filled with friendly banter and shared pistachio nuts. The mad chanting, bouncing and gesturing lasted for the full 90, it would've been rude not to join in!

For the school teachers out there, the Aya Sofya was built by the Roman Emperor Justinian 537 AD in Constantinople (as we used to know it) and reigned as the grandest church in Christendom until Mehmet the Conqueror came to town in 1453, whence he converted it into a mosque. From then on it was the HQ of the Ottoman empire, here endeth the lesson....

From Istanbul we caught the sleeper train to Ankara, whilst playing pocket battleships and sinking several cold Efes, then we bussed it to Göreme in Cappadocia i.e. Flintstone country. Cappadocia is chock-a-block with huge weird and wonderful pointy rocks which have doubled up as homes, churches and underground cities since the 1st century; me n dom have been living out our Fred n Wilma fantasy sleeping in a cave, perfect for long lies.

Anyways, back to the 'Butcher of Sultanamhet'. After a closer shave than you'll get from any gilette quattro (and a very sweaty brow), I thought my ordeal was at an end, until He decided that my eyebrows needed plucking turkish style (ouch), I'll never slag off jules about her tache agaýn!

Next up......the historic Roman ruins at Ephesus and our gület cruise around the Turkish coast, stay tuned.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



4th October 2006

Jealous
How am I going to bear this jealousy for 18 months! When in rome and all that... hope you were at the mosque for 5am sharp every morning! Have fun. April
4th October 2006

At least he didn't go for your bikini line
Enjoyed your first entry. Amazing what you've already got up to in only a few days. The rocks with people living in them look cool and definitely could feature in a lesson plan one day. Do you know I've done 9-5 in college today and then another 2 hours tonight? Well good to see you're both looking well. Wee Hughesy's out at the mo so I'll show her your update when she gets in.
5th October 2006

Hi!
Loooks as if you are having a great time, cool photos! Looking forward to next instalment!! Take care you guys Gwen :-)
6th October 2006

Cracked the code
Can I post directly without being screened? Will Scotland beat France tomorrow? Who is Mister X?
7th October 2006

Busy bees
Looks like you're both having a ball. Fantastic pictures - is Jooles in charge of the camera? Looking forward to your next up date. It's a bit like the Discovery Channel! Love Gx Px Lx
8th October 2006

Seefitworks
This blog looks great! So does the Blue Mosque. Wit did Ah tell ye aboot barbers! Buy a razor.
9th October 2006

Dougie you're a light weight
looking forward to the next installment already! Nic x
13th October 2006

That looks pish
I'd rather be up the club than be travelling around and not working for 18 months.... I think you could be a travel writer dom, I'm sure that would be your dream job. Anyway, it's Friday efternin and the back peddle is in motion. Contrary to my cliched persona I will not be venturing up the club, instead I might have a quiet one. Oh look there's the 2pm Bacon Express just flying by the office window. If you can add in a tally of pool scores that would be great, dom v turkey, dom v japan etc Keep up the good work, excellent story
12th November 2006

you lucky beggers!!
Just had a look at your blog. Quite brilliant. Really enjoyed hearing all about your travels and seeing the pics. Now Jules, did you take my advice about the dummy wallet? Tee hee. Take care and look forward to your next instalment.

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb