Day 49 - Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
August 19th 2015
Published: August 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Wake up and I decide to do Troy this morning rather then the British landing at Gallipoli. Not really interested to see where they landed and failed but nothing was made of that one......

We drive down the side of the Dardanelles we stayed on to Troy and arrive after a huge history lesson of the world as it stands now. All this was meant to lead us into the story of the Trojan horse and Paris and his life. Much more educated now. Wandered around the site which is actually very interesting, especially the parts where the city has 6 levels, based on each level being destroyed by earthquake then rebuilt on top of the old city then another one appeared. Anyway, pics of the horse and off we go back to Istanbul.

We cross the Dardanelles in a different place this time but on a similar ferry to last night. Bigger trucks and buses on this one. And so full that the last car on actually had to turn sideways to got on the ferry. Almost sitting on the draw bridge. Finally get back towards Istanbul, then we stop. Oh oh. Crawl along and finally after a while get to 2 trucks that look like they have done something bad. Traffic now flows really well.

Get to the outskirts of the city and the traffic out is gridlocked. We go fine until in town. Bloody hell, thought that Sydney traffic was bad, this is chaos on a stick.....

Eventually at the hotel, thanks all round and we are back inside checking in again. We are greeted by the man who served us drinks the other night and the check in dude as well. Just like lost relatives - nice. We have a different room this time. It is much bigger and we wonder if this is a payback for the trouble we had the other night. Who cares, nice to have more space around us. Get our other case and then start the re-packing exercise. Our beer man suggested we eat in the restaurant tonight. Ok, easier than picking somewhere else. We have the rooftop to ourselves which is nice, as the breeze is very pleasant tonight. We then go for a walk and do some more shopping before we hit the sack early.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb