ISTANBUL


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
July 27th 2014
Published: July 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

ISTANBUL. SATURDAY 26.7.14



Another magnificent weather day.

Wandered down to the international rail station to enquire about trains heading west. Sophia, Bulgaria is 14 hours away via night train. A pity as I think the scenery along the Bosphorus would be stunning in daylight. At only 17€ , the price is right.

The spice market beckoned. It seemed a little different to my last visit 20 years ago. Not as many spice stalls, with more shops selling jewellery, ceramics and tourist memorabilia. Must be higher margin. Nonetheless the spices smelt and looked fantastic. Also the cooked sweet dishes. In this part of the Mediterranean, the food seems very similar, just called something different. Sweets are coated in honey and pistachio and walnuts. Very tasty. Those kilos I lost, more likely misplaced it now seems, have been found and are returning!

Wandered the back lanes and alleyways, shops and markets everywhere, back up the hill to the Grand Bazaar, swerved around it to explore some carpet shops and the New Mosque, built 1506. Monolithic structure with an incredibly beautiful tiled interior. Also explored the waterfront. This is most definitely a seafaring city, probably at least 50 traders anchored offshore waiting their turn in port, large ferries heading down the Bosphorus or into the Black Sea or Sea of Marmara. Makes the Broadwater at home seem very quiet. Many fisherman with their long rods lined the harbour. Didn't see anyone reel in a fish, but looked a very pleasant pastime.

Purchased a rug and a light shade. Rather than struggle to carry them, DHL to the rescue. This was a three day negotiation task, not sure who was best, but sure it wasn't me!

Another good meal, Ottoman style. I like it, many spices used in the cooking, more casseroles and juices. I need to get back on the bike!!

........


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



27th July 2014

The carpet and lamp shade look great! Looking forward to seeing them on display at home! Food sounds amazing as well yummo!!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb