Damn Istanbul, I love you....


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
July 22nd 2006
Published: July 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

So Istanbul is amazing. I am completely enamored with it. The water, the wind, the climate, the trees, the mosques, and the people. Everything is just perfect.

The circumstances by which we got here, though, were quite imperfect. Our bus from Bucharest left at about 3.30 pm on the 20th and it was supposed to arrive at about 6 or 7 am on the 21st in Istanbul. It arrived, however, at about 3.30 am on the 21st. Mind you, this was after I hadn't peed for around 15 hours because I was too scared to pee at the, literally, squat-and-piss-in-a-hole-in-the-ground rest stops that the bus stopped at.

So we arrive in Turkey and the driver takes our bags off the bus and tells us this is where we get off. We have no place to stay, as we hadn't booked a night at our hostel because we thought we'd be on the bus all night. Luckily, there was a taxi right behind our bus (I take it this type of event happens rather often and taximeter cabriolet drivers take advantage of it) so we asked the driver to take us to our hostel. And again, luckily, there was one room available--a double bed with a private bathroom for 40 Euro.

So we took the room. I peed. You can't throw toilet paper into the toilets here by the way. So you pee or poop or whatnot and then wipe and throw the paper into the trash can. Hard to get used to. Faaast Forward. We sleep. BLah blah.


Things we've seen thus far are: Aya Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, another mosque. But I have to say the best part about this city is just sitting around, soaking in the atmosphere. The parks and public spaces here are amazing. The trees, the fountains, flowers. So beautiful. I can't even explain it. Hopefully Jeff will put up some pictures soon so that you can get a taste. But the only real way to experience Istanbul is to literally experience it. Come here!! Really. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Advertisement



23rd July 2006

Hi Kasiu! Glad you are enjoying your trip. It sounds fantastic and you two seem to be doing well. Can't wait to see you, all your photos, and hear all of your stories. Missing you very much, and sending you all my love, Mom
23rd July 2006

Kasiu, be careful and don't advertise your american nationality because, there is lots of unrest in the middle east. Enjoy the rest of your trip and see you soon. Love, Dad
23rd July 2006

You truely deserve a prize for holding your pee that long. Im being serious too. I cant wait to see you, chrisssstoph

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb