Arna's Middle East adventure


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
May 14th 2010
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day one, Istanbul,

It’s the evening now, I’m sitting on my bed in my 3 star un-air-conditioned tiny room. The remote is missing. Not under the beds, and not behind the wardrobe where I did find someone’s knickers and an empty condom packet. All the chemist stores advertise Viagra and Calais in their front windows. Maybe it was too much for my room’s previous occupants.

Enjoying the freedom of my little laptop, thanks to Mr G who set it all up for me, I can access the free wireless internet here at the hotel. This is an aspect of travel I’ve not enjoyed before. It did almost came unstuck today when I realised I’d not brought the correct adapter. After much street pounding I found one. Need to up-skill my sign language again. I figured I had to persevere as if I couldn’t get one here in a city of this size, where would I?

Istanbul is amazing. It’s that mixture of east meets west, where the wealth clashes with poverty, and the history, the beauty and ugliness all rolled up in one. In any of our western cities we will have those gaps, but how some of these people etch out a living I don’t know. How can you possibly make a living polishing shoes, or selling wallets for two Turkish lira, or spirograph sets. I didn’t think they existed still.

I walk down the streets that tourists don’t walk down. A whole street of ribbons, buttons and bows, another of press studs. Where is the point of difference that allows these people to make the living? The stores are small, with all the stock displayed in the window or on the shelves. No fancy window treatments here. They are so proud of their space, keeping it so clean, constantly sweeping, washing the pavement in front of the store. The cheery voices, the greetings to their neighbours as they arrive in the morning and open for they day’s trade. The cups of sweet apple tea, the backgammon and card games to while away the time. This is not the pushy sales environment of the bazaars. This is life. The real retail side of the city. It’s all local. I walk through observing the simplicity of it all and respond politely to the greetings I receive I feel at ease in this area that tourists don’t often stray into. I ask a store keeper if I can take a photo of his spices, beautifully piled up, the colour, the texture. He is flattered I ask permission, and we sit and have tea. English is not always able to be spoken, but we all have a few words, and my sign language and pigeon is excellent, when in doubt just smile and laugh.

Weary now, lots of walking today, and still feeling the effects of the jet lag. After all, it is only 4am in Canberra at the moment.


Advertisement



14th May 2010

Woohoo!
Nice photos an commentary. Keep it up and enjoy. Grahame
23rd May 2010

Wonderful insights
Dear Arna, What fascinating insights you have. I am going to enjoy reading your blog. I think you are in the wrong job (don't tell Barb I said this - I think you need to become a travel writer). Tessa came for a visit last Thursday and Friday. Monty remains exhausted. Travel safe! David

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb