Day 2 in Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
February 17th 2010
Published: March 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

This morning we headed to Topkapi Palace. It was built by the Ottoman's in the 15th century, and used as the seat of government as well as the home of the Sultan until the mid 19th century. At that time it was moved to Dolmabace Palace (a very modern and European facility that was occupied for all of a few months).

Topkapi is a well preserved and huge complex, elaborately decorated with beautiful tiles and mosaics, and containing a stunning library, harem and treasury. On display in the Treasury are some of the magnificent jewels including one of the world's largest diamonds (the size of the palm of my hand) and many many emeralds.

The palace also houses purported relics: Mohammed's mantle, Moses' staff, Abraham's cooking pot, Joseph's turban, St. John the Baptist's arm etc. Not sure how these claims could be verified, but there you are.

Later we took a run at the Spice or Egyptian bazaar, but it was as equally unimpressive as the Grand Bazaar. We retreated to a cup of turkish tea, and then treated ourselves to a hammam or turkish bath. The one we chose was built in the 16th century and was pretty impressive with marble everywhere and skylights.

Separate areas for women and men. You enter, change and store your things in a locker and then head to the bath. The first area is a big warm, marble lined room with a low round 'table' (about 30 ft or more across) in the middle. You are instructed to lie on that and it is a little bit of heaven feeling that heat seep through your bones, let me tell you. Then along comes your attendant who exfoliates you to within an inch of your life, and then throws a couple of bowls of warm water over you to rinse off. Then follows a complete lathering and masssage, followed by more warm bowls of water as a final rinse. Depending on how busy it is you can continue to lounge on the 'table' or move off to the side for awhile.

Once you have had enough you can retreat to the lounge area where you can replenish with fresh squeezed orange juice or just plain water or tea, and relax further for awhile. It is a good idea not to linger too long though, or you won't have the energy to get dressed and head home! What a treat and a good thing to do on our last evening - we have a busy few days coming up and this should recharge us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

TopkapiTopkapi
Topkapi

Ceiling detail
Cembrelitas HamamCembrelitas Hamam
Cembrelitas Hamam

This is a postcard of the bath, showing the large heated marble table.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb