Dubrovnik to Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
August 14th 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey Hey,

Back in sunny Swindon but i feel that i should at least update the travel blog for the end of the holiday.
So having said our goodbyes to the lads myself and patto set out on our 8 hour journey to Sarajevo, there was some magnificent scenery through the mountains of lakes; however what was more incredible was the sight as we entered the city of the thousands of bullet holes that still scar the buildings 15 years after the end of the war. The Bosnian people were incredibly friendly as we soon found out when a few random people helped us on our way to our hostel, there were many people that are willing to stop on the street and have a quick chat. The owner of the restaurant next door to the place we were staying even offered us a coffee and sat and chatted with us about the war for about half an hour. The tour of the city was educational learning about how the Serbs held the city with snipers from the surrounding mountains and the Bosnian people held the city for four years whilst under siege by tunnelling under the international airport which could not be attacked under international law.

Sadly we did have to leave so after grabbing a couple of souvenirs we headed to Belgrade and were pleasantly greeted with a giant beer festival so that we instantly felt at home, although I didn’t quite appreciate how much eastern Europeans like listening to hard core techno rock which was not quite my scene. Belgrade was just a quick stop off on the way back to the beach in Bulgaria’s Varna on the black sea where we planned to do some serious chilling and partying on the beach, which was achieved on the whole apart from a slight disagreement with our hostel and one of the local bouncers.

After topping up the tan we headed on our final journey and headed to Istanbul which is on of the most impressive cities that I have visited the blue mosque and the cisterns are very impressive (check out the photos once i manage to get them on). Managed to get an official turkish bath massage from a rather large and sweaty man who was not very gential at all... strangly enjoyable and you do feel really fresh and chilled afterwards. The hostal we were staying at was pretty cool Bahaus Hostal, the roof terrace was a really cool chillout bar with cool music funky lights and loads of big pillows everywhere to relax and smoke shesha on...very cool had some good times relaxing there.

It eventually did come to the point where we had to head home...sad times, however it was made much easier when we headed to V festival as soon as we got home...good times. i recommend heading to a festival if you are going to suffer from end of holiday blues.





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Sarajevo coffee setSarajevo coffee set
Sarajevo coffee set

there was much drinking of coffee on the trip
BANGBANG
BANG

Belgrade war display
Istanbul rooftopsIstanbul rooftops
Istanbul rooftops

saw this whilst having dinner on the terrace rooftops


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb