ISTANBUL


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
April 20th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A quick visit to Istanbul...we stayed on the European side - Sultanahmet, as it had the Blue Mosque and Santa Sophia....apparently, all the best bars are on the Asian side, plus most of the affordable art, so that's for next time! The whole city, divided by the Bosphorus Strait, is much larger than I'd thought - and it's the only city that straddles two continents, so plenty more to see!
(NOTE: TO VIEW ALL THE PHOTOS, YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON THE FIRST ONE TO ENLARGE IT)


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Blue MosqueBlue Mosque
Blue Mosque

Fabulous view from our hotel's roof terrace - I actually couldnt speak for a while!
Inside the Blue MosqueInside the Blue Mosque
Inside the Blue Mosque

'Blue' because of the mosaics which are everywhere...I had expected not to be able to take photos, but it was very informal inside the Mosque - kids running around, people sitting on the floor, chatting in small groups,very informal...
MusiciansMusicians
Musicians

There was a Tulip Festival when we were there, just down the street from our hotel - the streets were packed with families strolling around all weekend - great atmosphere!
Santa Sophia 2Santa Sophia 2
Santa Sophia 2

Difficult to take pictures inside - huge lights everywhere. It was originally a church, built around 530. It was the largest cathedral in the world for almost 1,000 years. Then it bcame a mosque and is now a museum.
Santa SophiaSanta Sophia
Santa Sophia

Its like a huge cavern - beautiful and partially restored
Santa SophiaSanta Sophia
Santa Sophia

The guard is running to the door as it is closing time...he slammed it shut!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb