Blog Entry Three - No Sad Flowers


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
November 27th 2014
Published: November 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Blog Entry Three

So my hotel in Sultanahmet is right around the corner from the Hippodrome, a huge outdoor space that was used to host chariot races back in the day (much the Circus Maximus in Rome). But unlike the Circus Maximus (which remains a ruin), the Hippodrome has been restored into a public gathering space, anchored at one end by two ancient obelisks ... on Egyptian, one Ottoman.

Adjacent to the Hippodrome is the Blue Mosque, the second largest mosque in the world.

It is called the Blue Mosque because of the famous mosaics inside the mosque, which are made from largely blue ceramic tile.

The mosque boasts six minarets (which are the cylindrical towers located outside mosques ... they are roughly analogous to Christian church steeples).

When the Sultan commissioned the Blue Mosque in the 15th century, the six minarets created quite a stir. At the time, the only other mosque with six minarets was the sacred Kaaba Mosque in Mecca. To build another mosque with six minarets was deemed presumptuous. The controversy was ultimately remedied when a seventh minaret was added to the Kaaba Mosque. The Blue Mosque has had six ever since.

Because the Blue Mosque is a functioning place of worship, there are understandably rules of dress and behavior for the tourists who visit. For example (i) everyone must remove their shoes, (ii) women must cover their heads, (iii) men cannot wear shorts, (iv) neither gender may wear tank tops or otherwise expose their shoulders (v) no kissing .... there are a few others.

Other than getting your shoes off in the pouring rain while attempting to get inside with dry socks, the rules are not terribly burdensome.

As you approach the Blue Mosque there is helpful signage the clearly delineates the rules to be followed ... or does it ... take a look at the attached photograph. It is clear we are supposed to refrain from something, but I have no idea what the prohibition is. In the end, I decided you are not allowed to bring "sad flowers" into the mosque.

More tomorrow on our sea journey down the Bosphorus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



28th November 2014

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it stops raining for you soon! Have a great time and travel safe!
29th November 2014

Blue Mosque Rules
Hopefully there isn't a rule against wearing hoodies in the Blue Mosque. Great snaps JJF.
29th November 2014

Hoodie
Sue, that is for sure. There is no way I would ever be allowed in if there was a prohibition on hoodies.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb